The Nationals signed Jerry Owens to a minor league deal, according to MLB.com's Bill Ladson. The 28-year-old outfielder has a .625 OPS in parts of four MLB seasons. Owens, who stole 32 bases for the White Sox two seasons ago, will compete for a roster spot in Spring Training.
According to Ryan Divish of the Tacoma News Tribune, the Mariners signed outfielder Jerry Owens to a minor league deal. Owens was designated for assignment to make room for Scott Podsednik a few days ago.
Owens, 28, spent most of last year at Triple A (his third stint at the level). He hit .276/.346/.316 with 30 steals in 43 tries. In their 2007 Handbook, Baseball America had this to say about his defense: "He covers plenty of ground in center field, though his arm is below average."
According to the Chicago Tribune, outfielder Jerry Owens has opted for free agency rather than accept an assignment to Triple-A Charlotte.
Links for Thursday…
- MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo and ESPN's Jason Churchill say high school catcher Luke Bailey is having Tommy John surgery. He might fall out of the top 20 in the draft, says Churchill.
- Thom Loverro of The Washington Times transcribes all kinds of amusing comments made by former Nationals GM Jim Bowden earlier this month. Bowden touched upon Stephen Strasburg, Mark Teixeira, and Aaron Crow.
- Alex Speier of WEEI notes that free agency hasn't done much for the Red Sox recently, outside of the Tim Wakefield and David Ortiz bargain signings.
- ESPN's Jim Caple talked to pitcher Jeff Zimmerman, who is on the comeback trail with the Mariners.
- Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune notes that White Sox outfielder Jerry Owens may be on the way out. It sounds like Scott Podsednik is coming up, but there will be no roster move today.
- Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post says Rockies reliever Randy Flores, currently in Triple A, is debating whether to opt out of his contract.
- Zach Berman of the Washington Post gathered quotes on new Nationals pitcher Logan Kensing.
- Tonight at 10pm CST, Seth Stohs and Twins pitcher Glen Perkins will co-host the MN GameNight radio show.
WEDNESDAY: Gonzales says Owens cleared waivers and will head back to Triple A Charlotte.
MONDAY: According to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune, White Sox outfielder Jerry Owens said he was waived today. DeWayne Wise and Brian Anderson will split center field duties. We'll wait for more details on Owens' situation.