Odds and Ends: Andruw, Marquis, Coonelly
Links for Monday…
- In his first post for RotoAuthority, David Chase looks at players who were said to have lost weight or gained muscle during Spring Training ’08. How did they perform in ’08?
- The Red Sox inked infielder Nick Green to a minor league deal.
- Murray Chass explains why the New York Times Company’s purchase of a share of the Red Sox was a conflict of interest.
- Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik: "We’ve got an offer out right now for a piece of the puzzle, and I’d hope to hear in the next few days."
- David Laurila talked to new Mariners exec Tony Blengino. One of many interesting quotes (in reference to the Bill Bavasi regime and the ’07 club): "I thought that it was clear going in that, with all due respect, they overrated their team from the last year."
The Yankees will introduce Mark Teixeira tomorrow. He passed his physical today. - River Ave. Blues and Peter Abraham ask whether the Yankees should consider Andruw Jones. Evan Brunell looks at other possible fits.
- The Dodgers talked to the Cubs about Jason Marquis, according to MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick.
- Pirates president Frank Coonelly joins Mark Attanasio (Brewers) and Drayton McLane (Astros) in supporting a salary cap.
- Jeff Moorad might be aggressive in the draft if he takes over the Padres. Tom Krasovic adds that the Padres have already discussed spending up to $6MM on their #3 pick this June.
- Keith Law likes the Angels’ Brian Fuentes signing, and doesn’t think the Indians gave up much for Mark DeRosa.
- If the Indians are to add another significant player, they’ll have to get creative with contracts.
- RAB and In Mo We Trust discuss Kevin Kernan’s recent suggestion that the Yanks sign Oliver Perez over Andy Pettitte.
- A couple of recent Hot Stove Dailies from Jeff Passan: the Braves and A’s.
- Athletics Nation asks whether Brian Sabean is "out-GMing" Billy Beane this winter.
- Sox Machine on why the Gavin Floyd–Brian Roberts rumor makes no sense.
Odds & Ends: Rockies, Iguchi, Indians
Some odds and ends for a quiet Sunday morning:
- Troy E. Renck notes that after acquiring Jason Marquis, arbitration is going to result in a slight payroll increase of $5MM for the Rockies.
- From Kyodo News: The Lotte Marines will begin talks with Tadahito Iguchi on Wednesday in Okinawa.
- Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe points out that the Red Sox prefer short, low cost, low risk contracts for established talent (i.e. Wade Miller, Bartolo Colon, and now Brad Penny) rather than large free agent contracts for pitchers.
- Keith Law says the Indians got Mark DeRosa for cheap, adding that a ".285/.365/.440 line is well within reason."
Sherman’s Latest: Red Sox, Lowe, Manny
Joel Sherman of the New York Post has a new blog post up.
- The Red Sox would like to trade for a young star player; they’ve already attempted to acquire Mark Teixeira and Hanley Ramirez this offseason. The Sox seem willing to discuss some very talented young players of their own (Clay Buchholz seems a bit more available). Sherman speculates on all kinds of names that could make sense for Boston.
- Derek Lowe is not keen on taking less money and the same salary as Carlos Silva. He and Scott Boras will take some time to see if someone can beat the Mets’ three-year, $36MM offer. Ken Rosenthal wrote in November that most executives consider the Silva contract an aberration.
- Sherman finds many reasons Manny Ramirez could make sense for the Giants. He notes that Giants special assistant J.T. Snow can give the team the inside scoop on what it was like to be teammates with Manny.
- The Cubs would’ve liked to send Jason Marquis home to New York (the Mets), but the Mets are addressing their needs one at a time and aren’t looking at the fifth starter role yet. Sherman says the Rockies have long been fans of Marquis and like his bat. He could accumulate 80 plate appearances, I suppose.
Marquis For Vizcaino Deal Close
7:28pm: Ken Rosenthal confirms what most people are saying–that this deal is close, but not yet official.
7:11pm: Bruce Miles of the Daily Herald calls the deal "possible, but not done yet." Additionally, says Miles, the deal is apparently "more in the Rockies’ hands than the Cubs’ right now."
Gordon Wittenmyer of the Sun-Times says a deal is "close," and suggests a Milton Bradley signing may be the next move for the Cubs.
6:20pm: This story has been confirmed by Troy Renck of the Denver Post.
While the deal likely won’t be official until next week, it looks like the Cubs will be paying $1MM of Marquis’ salary in 2009. That makes a net reduction of roughly $5MM in payroll for the Cubs.
4:44pm: According to ESPN’s Steve Phillips, the Cubs and Rockies are close to a swap of starter Jason Marquis for reliever Luis Vizcaino (saw it scroll across the screen on ESPN2). Marquis is set to earn $9.875MM in ’09, while Vizcaino will make $3.5MM plus a $4MM option for 2010 with a $500K buyout.
Marquis, 30, tossed 167 innings of 4.53 ball in 2008. He did roughly the same in ’07. Vizcaino, 34, posted a 5.28 ERA in 46 innings. He dealt with a strained shoulder and later expressed concerns that he didn’t pitch enough. His velocity was up from ’07 and he whiffed more than a batter per inning, but he was done in by walks and home runs. Vizcaino added a DUI to his resume in October.
Rockies Rumors: Redding, Marquis, Fogg
Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post has the latest on the Rockies’ pursuit for back-end starting pitching.
The Rox "remain firmly in the mix" for free agent Tim Redding, who also has the Mets and Orioles in pursuit. Renck suggests the Orioles’ signing of Mark Hendrickson could cause them to back off, though Jeff Zrebiec wrote today that the Orioles want to add at least two starters.
Jason Marquis is also on Colorado’s radar, but they "can’t absorb hardly any" of his $9.875MM salary. The Cubs are seemingly looking to save at least $3-4MM here. Renck adds that Josh Fogg is another possibility for the Rockies, on a minor league deal.
Rockies Could Pursue Marquis
Instead of "getting caught up in a bidding war" for Tim Redding with a few other teams, the Rockies could turn their focus to Jason Marquis of the Cubs according to Tracy Ringolsby of the Rocky Mountain News (via Bleed Cubbie Blue).
Ringolsby points to the durability that Marquis has shown and his ERA of 2.51 in five career Coors Field appearances to explain the Rockies’ interest. It’d also be fun to see Marquis at the plate in Denver, where he’s posted a .704 OPS in 29 PA’s as a hitter.
Marquis would likely be affordable for Colorado, since the Cubs "seem likely to eat roughly half" of the $9.9MM guaranteed to the righty in 2009.
The Mets have a similar strategy and would pursue Marquis if they can’t sign Redding.
Rosenthal’s Latest: Looper, Redding
In detailing their offseason plan to address the rotation, Ken Rosenthal adds the Baltimore Orioles to the short list of teams interested in acquiring Tim Redding. The Orioles are also interested in Braden Looper, says the article.
In addition to the Orioles, Redding is being sought after by the New York Mets and Colorado Rockies. The Rockies have also been mentioned in rumors regarding a potential pursuit of Looper.
It may take a two-year deal to land Redding, and recent rumors have made it appear as though only the Mets are willing to go that far.
Based on the rumors we’ve been seeing lately, it may come down to dividing three back-end starting pitchers among three teams in need of rotation help: one each of Redding, Looper and Jason Marquis, for the Orioles, Rockies, and Mets.
Alex Walsh can be reached at alexander.walsh@gmail.com.
Mets Starting Pitching Update
SATURDAY, 6:27PM: Ken Rosenthal confirms several of the ideas suggested in Heyman’s Friday article.
The Mets apparently are in fact interested in Tim Redding as a back-of-the-rotation starter, and would like to add either Derek Lowe or Oliver Perez to the front. The Mets appear willing to give Redding a two-year deal, while the Rockies, also interested in Redding’s services, are willing to do a one-year deal only.
Jason Marquis appears to be a likely target of the team that fails to sign Redding.
FRIDAY, 12:28PM: SI.com’s Jon Heyman has the latest on the Mets’ quest to add two starting pitchers.
Heyman says the Mets are waiting for Scott Boras to get Mark Teixeira signed before seriously engaging for Derek Lowe and Oliver Perez, their top two targets (in that order). Randy Wolf is the third choice if the Boras clients fall through. Heyman suggests Lowe’s asking price is $66MM over four years.
The Mets are also looking to add a back-end type to soak up innings. This group includes Freddy Garcia, Tim Redding, and Jason Marquis.
Rosenthal’s Latest: Crosby, Kawakami, Wolf
3:44pm: MLB.com’s Jim Street says Crosby cleared waivers.
9:00am: The word from Ken Rosenthal…
- The A’s placed shortstop Bobby Crosby on outright waivers in the hope that some team will assume his $5.75MM salary for ’09. After his lousy ’08, he may go unclaimed.
- The Braves were focused on Rafael Furcal; they’re not looking to add a different infielder as a backup plan. They still want another starting pitcher. Dave O’Brien names some possible targets.
- Rosenthal says some teams fear Kenshin Kawakami might want to match Hiroki Kuroda‘s three-year, $35.3MM deal.
- The Mariners would like to add a left-handed hitter with power; they’re waiting for a bargain.
- The Rockies are apparently debating whether to sign Tim Redding or trade for Jason Marquis. Reports in the Denver Post suggest Redding is the top target.
- Randy Wolf is looking for $30MM over three years. The Astros were in the $22-24MM range before pulling back.
Sherman’s Latest: Lowe, Saito, Teixeira
The latest from Joel Sherman of the New York Post.
- Mets GM Omar Minaya recently admitted he did not expect to pursue A.J. Burnett or Derek Lowe, saying, "I’m probably not going to be in there right now, financially. Not after spending all the money that I did on K-Rod." Sherman isn’t sold, though – he thinks Lowe’s price could drop and give the Mets a shot.
- The Dodgers haven’t received a counter-offer to their two-year, $45MM proposal, so they won’t be making another bid. Sherman adds that they are planning to non-tender Takashi Saito.
- The A’s remain the frontrunners for Rafael Furcal.
- Sherman says the Nationals have bid seven years and $140MM for Mark Teixeira. That offer was reported on Wednesday to be eight years, $160MM. Sherman says the backup plans are Adam Dunn and Orlando Hudson. I believe the Hudson link is new.
- The Mariners had tried to pry Jonathan Niese from the Mets for J.J. Putz. Sherman also notes strong interest in Aaron Heilman. He says the Mets and Cubs did not discuss Jason Marquis, contrary to reports.
