A look back at the busy week that was here at MLBTR ...
- The Giants acquired infielder Jeff Keppinger from the Astros.
- The Tigers acquired third baseman Wilson Betemit from the Royals.
- The Pirates signed right-handed reliever Jason Grilli.
- The Mets became certain that they won't trade shortstop Jose Reyes.
- The Dodgers became "open for business" as sellers.
- Padres owner Jeff Moorad reportedly told reliever Mike Adams that he wouldn't be traded, though that was later refuted.
- Cubs GM Jim Hendry explained his deadline approach. The North Siders became willing to eat a large chunk of Alfonso Soriano's contract if someone would take him off their hands.
- The Giants became the leaders in the sweepstakes to land Mets outfielder Carlos Beltran.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak called a Colby Rasmus trade highly unlikely, though the rumors persist.
- Dodgers starter Hiroki Kuroda was uncertain about waiving his blanket no-trade clause. The Tigers, for one, were interested.
- Rays starter James Shields may have become available to trade suitors. The Yankees, for one, checked in on the right-hander. Outfielder B.J. Upton was in the same boat.
- The Red Sox expressed interest in signing Jacoby Ellsbury to a contract extension. Boston owner John Henry predicted a quiet deadline for his club.
- The Astros showed a willingness to deal outfielder Hunter Pence. The Pirates were among the teams eyeing Pence.
- The Mariners signed 16-year-old Venezuelan pitching prospect Victor Sanchez.
- The Reds also signed a 16-year-old Venezuelan pitcher, Jonathan Perez. The righty was inked for $825K.
- The Pirates were also thought to be interested in Orioles setup man Koji Uehara, as were the Twins. Pittsburgh also discussed a package with the A's involving Josh Willingham and Craig Breslow.
- The Braves became intent on acquiring another hitter.
- The Reds had a few notable players on their radar: Wandy Rodriguez, Chone Figgins and Coco Crisp. The Indians were also interested in acquiring Crisp.
- The Orioles and shortstop J.J. Hardy finalized a contract extension.
- The Indians were rumored to be seeking a starting pitcher and an outfielder.
- The Rockies became willing to move one of their relief pitchers, including closer Huston Street.
- The Phillies and Marlins discussed a trade involving Florida closer Leo Nunez. Philly was also engaged in talks with the Royals regarding outfielder Melky Cabrera.
- The Tigers expressed interested in acquiring Orioles starter Jeremy Guthrie. They also expressed interest in Aaron Harang, as did the Tribe.
- The Rockies were not actively shoppin Chris Iannetta, but the Indians and Pirates expressed interest in the catcher.
- The Red Sox checked in with the A's on right-hander Rich Harden.
- The Diamondbacks released reliever Aaron Heilman, who then signed a minor league deal with the Phillies.
- A slew of minor transactions came to pass. The Mets signed Fernando Perez. The Orioles acquired Zach Phillips from the Rangers. The Yankees signed Marcus Thames after he was released by the Dodgers. The Mets claimed Mike Baxter from the Padres.
- As well, a handful of players were given their walking papers. The Rays designated Adam Russell for assignment. The Orioles designated Chorye Spoone for assignment. The Tigers designated Brandon Inge for assignment. The Nationals designated Chad Gaudin for assignment and then gave him his unconditional release. The Athletics designated Jerry Blevins for assignment. The Indians designated Jared Goedert for assignment. The Mets designated Nick Evans for assignment. The Phillies designated Danys Baez for assignment. The Blue Jays designated Jo Jo Reyes for assignment.
Marlins Release Jon Rauch Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Mariners To Demote Jesus Montero Prospect Rumor Roundup: Talking Twins Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment AL West Notes: Angels, Jesus Montero, Cotts Quick Hits: Francona, Indians, Mattingly, Dodgers Cafardo on Tanaka, Blue Jays, Red Sox, Phillies AL East Notes: Orioles, Red Sox, Ellsbury Antonetti on Bourn, Bauer, Pitching Draft Notes: Astros, Appel, Gray, Cubs, Harvey Minor Moves: Dustin Martin, Josh Horton West Links: Dodgers, Ethier, Norberto, Mariners Derek Lowe Clears Waivers NL Central Links: Garcia, Carpenter, Garza Red Sox, Jacoby Ellsbury Haven't Talked Extension Yankees Notes: Kuroda, Bullpen, Adams
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors