Ronny Cedeno Rumors
3:53pm: The deal guarantees Cedeno $1.15MM and includes $850K in performance bonuses, Rosenthal reports (on Twitter).
Cedeno played for the Mets last year, appearing in 78 games, mostly as a middle infielder. The 29-year-old posted a .259/.332/.410 batting line in 186 plate appearances with New York. He earned $1.2MM, and has earned between $1-2MM in each of the last three seasons. Multiple teams expressed interest in Cedeno, but the identity of other interested teams remains unknown.
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com first reported the Cardinals' interest and that the sides were nearing a deal.
MONDAY: It appears that Cedeno is headed to the Cardinals, Heyman reports (on Twitter).
Cedeno played for the Mets last year, appearing in 78 games, mostly as a middle infielder. The 29-year-old posted a .259/.332/.410 batting line in 186 plate appearances with New York. He earned $1.2MM, and has earned between $1-2MM in each of the last three seasons.
The Mets have announced the signing of free agent shortstop Ronny Cedeno. The one-year deal is worth $1.2MM and includes several incentives. Peter E. Greenberg & Associates represents Cedeno, who figures to provide depth behind Ruben Tejada in New York.
The Pirates declined Cedeno's option earlier this offseason, after he posted a .249/.297/.339 line in 454 plate appearances. The 28-year-old posted a strong 6.8 UZR/150 at shortstop this past season, though his career mark of -1.6 UZR/150 is slightly below average. The Red Sox and Pirates were linked to Cedeno earlier this offseason, while the Mets had interest in free agents such as Jack Wilson and Ryan Theriot.
2:57pm: The Mets are close to a one-year deal with Cedeno that would be worth $1.1-1.2MM, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.
11:59am: The Mets and free agent shortstop Ronny Cedeno have reached a critical point in their negotiations, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com. They haven't agreed to a deal yet, but there could be a verdict soon, Rubin reports. Andy McCullough of the Star Ledger tweets that the sides are nearing a deal and that Cedeno is still considering his options.
The Mets seek shortstop depth behind Ruben Tejada and have been linked to free agents such as Cedeno, Jack Wilson and Ryan Theriot. The Pirates declined Cedeno's option earlier this offseason, after he posted a .249/.297/.339 line in 454 plate appearances. The 28-year-old posted a strong 6.8 UZR/150 at shortstop this past season, though his career mark of -1.6 UZR/150 is slightly below average. The Red Sox and Pirates were also linked to Cedeno earlier this offseason. Peter E. Greenberg & Associates represents Cedeno.
This post was first published on January 6th, 2012.
Sandy Alderson told reporters that it's fair to assume the Mets won't sign free agents who cost more than $1.5MM before Spring Training, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com. The GM also explained that teams generally have "a greater reluctance to make a big deal" as Spring Training draws closer. Here are more details on the Mets:
- Alderson said he's looking to fill out his bench and bullpen, according to Rubin. The GM said he wants a backup shortstop and a "swingman" for the pitching staff.
- Alderson recently met with free agent Chris Young in San Diego, according to Rubin. "He's the kind of guy we might re-sign under the right circumstances," the GM said.
- Johan Santana is in a normal progression toward Spring Training, Alderson said.
- The Mets continue looking at Ronny Cedeno as a backup shortstop option, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com tweets.
- The Mets aren’t likely to attempt to re-sign Willie Harris after agreeing to terms with Scott Hairston earlier today, Andy Martino of the New York Daily News tweets.
Here's the latest from the National League East...
- The Nationals "have had little contact with" Roy Oswalt, a source tells MLB.com's Bill Ladson. We heard last week that Oswalt was the Nats' "plan B" once Mark Buehrle signed with Miami. The Nats didn't bid on Yu Darvish and won't meet Oakland's price for Gio Gonzalez, so the club may stick with its current rotation.
- Ladson believes the Nationals will look for bench help before re-entering the pitching market. To that end, Ladson reports the team is maintaining interest in Mike Cameron, Mark DeRosa and Greg Dobbs. (Both links go to Ladson's Twitter account.)
- The Marlins are interested in Rays right-hander Wade Davis, tweets Troy Renck of the Denver Post. With Matt Moore, David Price, Jeremy Hellickson as untouchables and the Rays seemingly determined to keep James Shields, Davis and Jeff Niemann are the most likely Rays pitchers to be moved, if the club does indeed try to deal from its pitching surplus. The inter-Florida rivals have already completed one (lower-profile) trade this offseason, involving righty Burke Badenhop.
- The Mets have talked to Ronny Cedeno and Jack Wilson, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (Twitter link). Wilson has been linked to the Mets for a few weeks, but Cedeno is a new name in the mix for the Amazins. The Red Sox and Braves have also had interest in Cedeno this offseason.
- Also from Heyman, the Phillies made Michael Cuddyer an early contract offer worth more than $25MM. The club lost interest in Cuddyer, however, after signing Ty Wigginton and Laynce Nix. Cuddyer agreed to a three-year, $31.5MM deal today with the Rockies.
- Dontrelle Willis sounded confident that he will play alongside his longtime friend Jimmy Rollins with the Phillies next season, reports Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Jose Reyes has yet to speak to Hanley Ramirez since signing with the Marlins, according to The Associated Press. "As soon as I have the opportunity, I'm going to talk to him, because we are very good friends," Reyes said. "We're both here for one reason -- to win the World Series. It doesn't matter where I'm going to play or where he's going to play."
- The Braves will rely on several players aged 24 and under next season, but Fangraphs' Jason Roberts thinks the health of veterans like Chipper Jones and Tim Hudson are bigger concerns for the club.
The Braves are among the teams interested in free agent shortstop Ronny Cedeno, according to David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (on Twitter). The Peter E. Greenberg & Associates client has been on Atlanta's backup shortstop and utility list all offseason, O'Brien reports.
The Pirates declined Cedeno's option earlier this offseason, after he posted a .249/.297/.339 line in 454 plate appearances. The 28-year-old posted a strong 6.8 UZR/150 at shortstop this past season, though his career mark of -1.6 UZR/150 is slightly below average. The Red Sox and Pirates were also linked to Cedeno earlier this offseason, but they've since added depth in Nick Punto and Clint Barmes, respectively.
Alex Gonzalez won't return to Atlanta; he agreed to terms with the Brewers last week. GM Frank Wren figures to add a shortstop on a one-year deal to provide Tyler Pastornicky with time to develop into an everyday player. Yuniesky Betancourt, Cesar Izturis, Ryan Theriot and Jack Wilson are among the available free agent shortstops.
The latest on the Mets's search for bullpen help, with the newest updates on top...
- Rauch and the Mets had "good talks" today and are making progress, tweets Rubin.
- The Mets have a list of about 11 attainable relievers, says Adam Rubin of ESPN New York. Rubin adds Octavio Dotel and Jason Isringhausen to the names mentioned below.
- Jose Reyes' agent met with the Mets about other clients such as Endy Chavez, Cesar Izturis, and Ronny Cedeno, which was described as "a little awkward."
- Joel Sherman of the New York Post is getting a strong feeling the Mets are closing in on a late-inning relief type, other than Francisco Cordero. Andy Martino of the New York Daily News hears the same, and says to think Frank Francisco, Jon Rauch, and Brad Lidge types. Martino thinks a deal could happen tonight. Alderson told reporters the Mets are more likely to sign two lesser-priced relievers than one expensive guy.
- The Mets will probably send someone to see Joel Zumaya throw next week, tweets Sherman.
- Alderson will meet with Scott Boras today, though he told reporters Francisco Rodriguez is unlikely.
- The Mets' five or so top prospects will not be traded, Alderson told reporters including Rubin.
- The Mets have interest in bringing 40-year-old righty Miguel Batista back, tweets Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports.
Dale Sveum interviewed with the Red Sox for a second time today, and the team expects to bring in at least one more managerial finalist for a second interview. However, it's still a mystery who that finalist will be. Pete Mackanin has been told he's no longer in the running, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe (on Twitter), and Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com tweets that Sandy Alomar Jr. and Gene Lamont hadn't heard anything from the team about a second interview as of this evening. Torey Lovullo rounded out Boston's original five interviewees, but Larry Lucchino said tonight that the Sox could "absolutely" expand their search, tweets Rob Bradford of WEEI.
While we wait to see where Boston's hunt for Terry Francona's replacement takes them, let's check out a few more AL East links....
- The Red Sox are keeping tabs on free agent shortstops, according to the Boston Herald's Michael Silverman. Silverman hears the Sox have checked in on everyone from Jose Reyes to Ronny Cedeno.
- Rays GM Andrew Friedman expects to receive plenty of inquiries on his starting pitchers, but tells Joe Smith of the St. Petersburg Times not to count on a trade.
- The Orioles hope to sign a few free agents to fill out their bench within the next week or so, GM Dan Duquette told MASN's Roch Kubatko.
- In a mailbag, MLB.com's Gregor Chisholm answered Blue Jays-related questions, many of which revolved around the team's hunt for a closer.
The Pirates provided fans around baseball with some midseason excitement before fading in August and September and finishing with a 72-90 mark. GM Neal Huntington knows the next step is sustaining success into September and beyond, but getting there is a definite challenge. Here are some updates on Huntington’s Pirates from the Milwaukee GM Meetings...
- The Pirates moved quickly on Rod Barajas because they believe he can add power and work with the Pittsburgh pitching staff at an affordable price, Huntington said.
- Plus, the Pirates considered the catching market to be "very weak." They recently signed Barajas to a one-year, $4MM deal that includes a club option for 2013.
- The Pirates may discuss a new deal with Ronny Cedeno and his representatives, Peter E. Greenberg & Associates. Pittsburgh declined its $3MM option on the shortstop after the World Series, making him a free agent. The Pirates also appear to have interest in Ramon Santiago.