8:19pm: According to the AP, the D’Backs exercised Rauch’s $2.9MM option for 2010. He’ll earn $2MM in ’09.
- The D’Backs figure to have nine draft picks in the first 75 or so next year. They will probably offer arbitration to Orlando Hudson, Adam Dunn, Juan Cruz, and Brandon Lyon, and see all of them decline to sign elsewhere. They could end up spending $8-12MM on next year’s draft, but at least the farm system will be restocked.
- Team CEO Jeff Moorad says he inquired on Hudson’s contract demands and received no response. The D’Backs have $10-15MM to spend and probably cannot afford him.
- Moorad admitted that they will not look to sign Dunn.
- The D’Backs want to bring Randy Johnson back, but only at a discount. If Johnson wants to be paid what he’s worth he’ll hit the open market.
- Jon Rauch’s 2010 option decision is due by Monday. The option is for $2.9MM, but the D’Backs could decline it and go to arbitration with him that year.
- Piecoro does not expect the D’Backs to be in on Japanese free agent starter Kenshin Kawakami.