Here’s how the last few days before the trade deadline went for teams throughout the AL West.
- The Rangers acquired Phillies ace Cole Hamels in a monster eight-player deal, also receiving Jake Diekman and cash. In return, the Rangers gave up pitcher Matt Harrison, catching prospect Jorge Alfaro, pitching prospects Jake Thompson, Alec Asher and Jerad Eickhoff, and outfield prospect Nick Williams. In a more minor deal, they acquired reliever Sam Dyson from the Marlins for catcher Tomas Telis and pitcher Cody Ege. They also claimed catcher Bobby Wilson from the Rays and designated lefty reliever Wandy Rodriguez for assignment.
- The Athletics were busy as usual, this time selling in the wake of a disappointing season. They got a solid pitching prospect in Sean Manaea, plus another young pitcher in Aaron Brooks, when they sent Ben Zobrist to Kansas City. They got yet another pitching propsect, Casey Meisner, from the Mets for Tyler Clippard. Last week, they received catcher Jacob Nottingham and pitcher Daniel Mengden from the Astros in exchange for Scott Kazmir. They also traded reliever Ryan Cook to the Red Sox for a player to be named and acquired lefty Felix Doubront from the Blue Jays for cash.
- The first-place Astros were, of course, the team that received Kazmir. In yet another significant deal, they acquired outfielder Carlos Gomez, starter Mike Fiers and international spending rights from the Brewers for outfielders Domingo Santana and Brett Phillips and pitchers Adrian Houser and Josh Hader. They also designated Roberto Hernandez for assignment and outrighted outfielder Alex Presley. Additionally, they designated reliever Joe Thatcher, who became a free agent.
- The Angels addressed their outfield and DH issues by acquiring David Murphy from the Indians (for infield prospect Eric Stamets), David DeJesus from the Rays (for pitcher Eduar Lopez) and Shane Victorino from the Red Sox (for infielder Josh Rutledge). They also designated reliever Vinnie Pestano for assignment and signed lefty Wesley Wright to a minor league deal.
- The Mariners sent lefty J.A. Happ to the Pirates for starting pitching prospect Adrian Sampson, and reliever Mark Lowe to the Blue Jays for pitchers Rob Rasmussen, Jake Brentz and Nick Wells. They also shipped outfielder Dustin Ackley, a former No. 2 overall pick, to the Yankees for outfielder Ramon Flores and pitcher Jose Ramirez. They also promoted top prospect Ketel Marte. Finally, they acquired righty J.C. Ramirez from the Diamondbacks.