Recapping this week’s original content from MLBTR…
- Even after acquiring Andrew McCutchen, the Giants are in the market for a center fielder. San Francisco’s preference to stay under the $197MM luxury tax threshold may limit its options, though Steve Adams still found 13 reasonably priced candidates whom the club could acquire via free agency or trade.
- With McCutchen, Gerrit Cole, Evan Longoria and Yangervis Solarte having been part of recent deals, Jeff Todd updated his list of the league’s top 60 trade candidates. The piece is loaded with household names, including Christian Yelich and Chris Archer.
- In the newest editions of MLBTR’s Free Agent Profile series (links: 1, 2), Steve examined right-hander Alex Cobb’s case for a big payday, while Kyle Downing did the same with reliever Greg Holland.
- Brewers right-hander Tim Dillard provided his latest Inner Monologue, this one touching on subjects including “Star Wars” and giveaway nights.
- The contract extension portion of the offseason isn’t far away, leading Jeff to break down the largest deals given to veterans entering their final year of team control.
- After news broke that Marlins second baseman Starlin Castro would prefer to play elsewhere in 2018, I tried to find plausible fits for him via trade. It wasn’t easy.
- The latest poll at MLBTR focused on where free agent right-hander Yu Darvish will sign. The plurality of voters see him ending up with the Cubs. On the other hand, the results suggest there’s little hope for a Darvish-Dodgers reunion.