We have a bunch of rumor-related tidbits today, and for now I'll put them into one post.
- There's a mini-controversy afoot regarding Cubs lefty Will Ohman. Ohman has indicated that the Cubs have been letting him pitch while hurt, and the Cubs contend that he never visited the trainer. No matter who you side with, Ohman's days in the organization are numbered.
- The Cubs indeed won the Scott Podsednik claim, but the White Sox want a legitimate prospect in return. I've heard Sean Gallagher mentioned. There's not much time for posturing here as the teams probably have until today or tomorrow to make a trade. The White Sox were considered nontendering Pods last offseason, and he didn't do anything this year that should've changed their mind. Ozzie Guillen even called him "unreliable" publicly. Kenny Williams should take what he can get and give the playing time to someone else.
- Casey Fossum's been released by the Devil Rays; he'll hook on somewhere. The little lefty used to throw in the mid-90s with Boston. Not so much anymore, but he does boast one of the slowest curveballs you'll find (slower than 50 mph). Back in '03, the Red Sox offered him to Toronto for Kelvim Escobar, unwilling to give up Trot Nixon. He eventually went to Arizona in the Curt Schilling deal and later was traded to the Devil Rays for Jose Cruz Jr. Fossum's battled shoulder woes for most of his career, having labrum surgery in '06. He's still only 29.
- The Rockies signed Elmer Dessens to a minor-league deal. They might have to throw the 34 year-old into the rotation for lack of better options.
- Carlos Silva wants to stay in Minnesota, and would sign at a discount before hitting the open market if the Twins are interested. Unfortunately, a discount for a Silva-type these days might be three years, $18MM. Jason Marquis's contract was something of a benchmark. If Silva backs it up to two years, $10MM, I can see the Twins going for it.
- Victor Zambrano now finds himself toiling for the Pirates' Triple A affiliate.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Random Rumors And Signings: