We live-blogged the '08 amateur draft last Thursday, and it was a lot of fun. Over 4,000 people came along for the ride. You can read the transcript here.
Immediately after each of the first 30 picks, I polled readers on whether the team "made the right choice." We can keep the results for posterity and determine whether it's fair to rag on a team for picking the wrong guy. If most people liked the pick at the time it was made, it wouldn't be right to criticize it in hindsight. Here are the poll responses to the question, "Did Team X make the right choice by drafting Player Y?
- Tim Beckham, Rays - 80% said yes.
- Pedro Alvarez, Pirates - 89%.
- Eric Hosmer, Royals - 63%.
- Brian Matusz, Orioles - 80%.
- Buster Posey, Giants - 68%.
- Kyle Skipworth, Marlins - 54%.
- Yonder Alonso, Reds - 33%.
- Gordon Beckham, White Sox - 79%.
- Aaron Crow, Nationals - 82%.
- Jason Castro, Astros - 14%.
- Justin Smoak, Rangers - 90%.
- Jemile Weeks, A's - 41%.
- Brett Wallace, Cardinals - 65%.
- Aaron Hicks, Twins - 79%.
- Ethan Martin, Dodgers - 62%.
- Brett Lawrie, Brewers - 62%.
- David Cooper, Blue Jays - 26%.
- Ike Davis, Mets - 55%.
- Andrew Cashner, Cubs - 57%.
- Josh Fields, Mariners - 65%.
- Ryan Perry, Tigers - 53%.
- Reese Havens, Mets - 33%.
- Allan Dykstra, Padres - 28%.
- Anthony Hewitt, Phillies - 32%.
- Christian Friedrich, Rockies - 89%.
- Daniel Schlereth, D'Backs - 65%.
- Carlos Gutierrez, Twins - 21%.
- Gerrit Cole, Yankees - 82%.
- Lonnie Chisenhall, Indians - 17%.
- Casey Kelly, Red Sox - 74%.
There you have it. Readers agreed least with the Astros' selection of Castro and most with the Rangers' pick of Smoak.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The '08 Draft: Knee-Jerk Reactions: