The Brewers' option situations after the season:
- Jeff Suppan has a $12.75MM club option with a $2MM buyout. This is a lock to be declined.
- Trevor Hoffman has a $7MM mutual option with a $500K buyout, though both numbers increase based on games finished. This might be a rare case where both sides exercise a mutual option.
- David Riske has a $4.75MM club option with a $250K buyout. He's still recovering from Tommy John surgery; this will be declined.
- Doug Davis has a $6.5MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout.
- Gregg Zaun faces a $2.25MM club option with a $250K buyout; this could be exercised.
Eligible for free agency: Dave Bush, Craig Counsell, Jody Gerut, Claudio Vargas, and Jim Edmonds. That's about $10MM more freed up, plus Bill Hall's $7.15MM and a couple of buyouts will be off the books. Increases to players under contract total $7MM. That's not bad, considering Ryan Braun and Yovani Gallardo will enter what would've been their first arbitration years.
Manny Parra and Joe Inglett project to be eligible for arbitration for the first time. Carlos Gomez and Carlos Villanueva are second-year guys. The big names are third-year arbitration players: Prince Fielder, Rickie Weeks, Corey Hart, and Todd Coffey. Hart stands a good chance of being non-tendered, while Fielder could approach $20MM if he's not signed long-term.