Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. talked to reporters today about his areas of focus as the trade deadline approaches, and MLB.com's Todd Zolecki has a transcript of the conversation. Here are a few highlights:
- The Phillies are being "pro-active" on the trade market, talking to a handful of teams about possible deals.
- Amaro implies that he's exploring acquiring an infielder, but cautions that the Phillies "may have a totally different need come July 31 than adding a piece in the infield."
- If they could only make one move, the team would prefer to add a pitcher as opposed to an infielder, since Placido Polanco and Chase Utley will be back eventually.
- The Phils would consider trading not just prospects, but players from their major league roster.
- The club has the flexibility to add to its payroll.