- Cubs manager Lou Piniella announced today that he'll retire after the season. Is Ryne Sandberg next in line?
- The Marlins are talking internally about extending second baseman Dan Uggla after the season, reports MLB.com's Joe Frisaro.
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports explains why a Roy Oswalt trade seems unlikely: his salary, his no-trade clause, and Ed Wade's demands.
- Before Brandon Inge's injury last night, Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports was told the Tigers "have been more aggressive in looking for relievers than starters" (Twitter link). Here's a reminder on the trade markets for relievers and starters.
- Two of Morosi's big league sources forecast a 50% chance of the Braves acquiring an outfielder. As Morosi notes, the Braves have a strong inventory of pitching prospects.
- One more from Morosi: he says the Rays are "checking around for possible upgrades" at center field, right field, first base, or catcher (Twitter link). They've been loosely connected to Corey Hart and Jayson Werth this summer.