It wouldn't be surprising to see any contender other than the Padres (and perhaps the Rays) acquire bullpen help before July 31st. Here are the options teams will consider between now and July 31st, sorted by 2010 salary:
- Kerry Wood, $10.5MM ($11MM vesting option for 2011) - There doesn't appear to be much interest in Wood now, but he will be an August trade candidate, since he will likely clear waivers.
- Trevor Hoffman, $7.5MM ($7MM mutual option or $500K buyout for 2011) - Hoffman's season numbers are ugly: an 8.33 ERA and a walk rate (4.3 BB/9) that nearly doubles his career average. If would be surprising to see the all-time saves leader traded, but his last ten innings have been quite good.
- Kyle Farnsworth, $4.5MM ($5.25MM club option or $500K buyout for 2011) - Some fans find Farnsworth frustrating, but his strikeout to walk ratio and 95 mph fastball should have appeal as the deadline nears.
- Chad Qualls, $4.2MM (free agent after 2010) - Qualls has good strikeout and walk numbers, but has been extremely hittable and has already allowed more runs than he has in any season since 2006.
- Scott Downs, $4MM (free agent after 2010) - The Phillies have interest in Downs who, like two other Toronto relievers, is available. He should have trade value because he induces ground balls, limits walks and throws left-handed.
- Matt Capps, $3.5MM (free agent after 2011) - It would be a surprise to see the Nationals trade Capps, since they have limited bullpen depth and can retain the righty for 2011. He has 23 saves and a lower walk rate than he had in 2009.
- Octavio Dotel, $3.25MM ($4.5MM option or $500K buyout for 2011, option becomes mutual after a trade) - The Marlins have inquired on Dotel, who is striking out and walking lots of batters, as usual.
- Joakim Soria, $3MM ($4MM for 2011, club options through 2014) - Something tells me it'd be tough for the Royals to trade away 25 saves, 11.1 K/9 and a deal that provides lots of flexibility for the team.
- David Aardsma, $2.75MM (free agent after 2012) - Aardsma's peripherals aren't as good as they were last year and his season ERA is 5.40.
- Jason Frasor, $2.65MM (free agent after 2010) - Frasor is available, and continues to be an effective middle reliever, though he is walking more batters than usual.
- Aaron Heilman, $2.15MM (free agent after 2010) - Heilman, who has already been traded three times in the past two years, has been one of the few somewhat effective relievers the D'Backs have had this season.
- Kevin Gregg, $2MM ($4.5MM club option for 2011 or $8.75MM for 2011-12 with $750K buyout) - Like Downs and Frasor, Gregg is available. He has 20 saves for a fourth consecutive year in spite of his usual high walk total.
- Leo Nunez, $2MM (free agent after 2012) - We haven't seen a clear indication that the Marlins would move Nunez. They were looking for relief help recently and Nunez is under control for two more years, but they could consider a trade.
- Will Ohman, $1.35M (free agent after 2010) - Ohman leads the league in appearances and should have appeal, partly because he's left-handed. He can strike hitters out, though he will walk his share, too.
- D.J. Carrasco, $950K (free agent after 2012) - Carrasco has value as a cheap option who can go more than one inning at a time. He has 7.1 K/9 and 3.7 BB/9 midway through another solid season.
- Bruce Chen, minor league contract (free agent after 2011) - The 33-year-old has been a swingman of sorts for the Royals and could become a long reliever for a contender.
- Teams could always call the Padres to see if they'd part with any of their relievers, but as Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports points out (via Twitter), the Padres seem more likely to hold their relievers now that Mike Adams is going on the DL.
- Free agents like Chad Cordero and lefties Alan Embree and Scott Schoeneweis are also available.
Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Rosenthal On Diamondbacks, Braves, Drew Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment NL Notes: Polanco, Bradley, Abreu AL Notes: Orioles, Izturis, Rangers, Bartlett Week In Review: 4/13/14 - 4/19/14 Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen West Notes: Trout, Kazmir, Padres Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Fallout From The Ike Davis Trade Yankees Designate Cesar Cabral For Assignment Minor Moves: Brian Omogrosso, Ji-Man Choi, Rafael Perez Jason Bartlett To Retire Mets And Pirates Working On Ike Davis Trade Diamondbacks Designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors