Tons of research goes into any free agent signing, given the amount of money at stake. Still, one year later many have already gone sour. A look at some of the regrettable $10MM+ contracts from the 2009-10 offseason...
- It feels too early to throw John Lackey into this discussion, as he ended up giving the Red Sox 215 decent innings last year. But he does have a 4.83 ERA over the life of the contract. The deal was frontloaded, so Lackey will be paid $61MM over 2011-14.
- If new Mets GM Sandy Alderson could reverse Omar Minaya's Jason Bay contract, I'm sure he would. Bay is owed $48MM over the 2011-13 seasons, with the possibility of a $17MM club option vesting for 2014. A concussion ended his '10 season on July 25th, and he began the '11 season on the DL for a strained ribcage. Bay's Mets line still stands at .259/.347/.402.
- Chone Figgins' four-year, $36MM deal with the Mariners looked like a mild bargain at the time. 2010 was ugly, marked by an ill-advised position switch, a Don Wakamatsu altercation, and a batting average dip. Only nine games in this year, Figgins has time to turn the contract around.
- Randy Wolf provided the Brewers with 215 2/3 innings of 4.17 ball last year, but as with Lackey more was expected. Wolf's 5.9 K/9 was his worst since '04. The Brewers are probably glad to have the rotation depth at this point, so maybe the $20.5MM owed to Wolf over 2011-12 doesn't bother them.
- At $7.25MM this year, Mike Cameron is an expensive fourth outfielder for the Red Sox. They've got the payroll to tolerate the contract, and Cameron might be used more than most fourth outfielders.
- Fernando Rodney's two-year, $11MM pact with the Angels was panned at the time. You can't blame Rodney for this one turning ugly; his 2010 numbers were pretty similar to his '09 contract year.
- The contracts for Jason Marquis, Mark DeRosa, and Mike Gonzalez also went sour in year one due to injuries.
Twins Sign Kohl Stewart Red Sox Sign Trey Ball Mike Zagurski Elects Free Agency Padres To Release James Darnell Mets Acquire Eric Young For McHugh; Designate Cowgill Yankees Acquire Fernando Martinez Yankees Designate Chris Bootcheck Diamondbacks Sign Braden Shipley Phillies Sign J.P. Crawford Orioles Designate Yamaico Navarro Mets Agree To Sign Dominic Smith Giants To Sign Christian Arroyo Pirates To Sign Reese McGuire Mets To Promote Zack Wheeler Yankees To Sign Ian Clarkin Rays Promote Wil Myers Dodgers Claim John Baker Mariners Sign Henry Blanco; Designate Kelly Shoppach For Assignment Dodgers Designate Ramon Hernandez For Assignment
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Biogenesis, Boldt, Astros, Ramirez Trade Deadline Notes: Closers, Phillies, Buyers Draft Signings: Gonsalves, Williams, Monda, Hannemann Astros Notes: Appel, Free Agency Rockies To Remove Francis From Roster, Add Oswalt Braves Sign First-Rounder Jason Hursh Red Sox Sign Trey Ball Twins Sign Kohl Stewart Mike Zagurski Elects Free Agency Padres Request Release Waivers On James Darnell Astros To Sign Mark Appel Suspensions Likely In Biogenesis Case Quick Hits: Norris, Ethier, Blue Jays, Phillies Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr., Designate Collin Cowgill Draft Signings: Bohn, Salazar, Verbistky, Healy, Moll
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors