Players can be traded while on the DL, but in general teams strongly prefer their acquisitions to be healthy. Here's a look at trade candidates who are currently on the DL.
- Erik Bedard, Mariners. Bedard is on the DL for a knee sprain. He threw a successful bullpen session on Sunday and may be able to make a start or two before the deadline. Injuries have killed Bedard's trade deadline value in years past, though they were more serious than this one. To the extent that he's on the mound, Bedard might be the best available starter on the trade market.
- Jose Reyes, Mets. Reyes just finished recovering from a left hamstring strain; he's expected back in the Mets' lineup tonight. I know he's not expected to be dealt, though I think it'd make sense for Sandy Alderson to listen.
- Ivan Rodriguez, Nationals. Pudge is coming back from an oblique strain and should return to action this month.
- Luke Scott, Orioles. Scott's shoulder has bothered him for much of the season, but he received a cortisone shot and could be activated today. I think he's likely to stay put.
- Brad Hawpe, Padres. Hawpe strained a finger in late June, but an elbow problem may be the bigger concern. It sounds like he won't make it back by the deadline, but an August deal could happen.
- Kevin Slowey, Twins. Battling an abdomen injury, Slowey made a third rehab start on Friday. He's expected to be optioned to stay in Triple-A, so a trade would be best for everyone.
- John Danks, White Sox. Danks is expected to rejoin Chicago's rotation Thursday against the Royals after an oblique strain. His teammate Edwin Jackson seems more likely to be dealt.
- Casey Blake, Dodgers. Blake received a cortisone shot for his neck injury, but no return is imminent. This might have to be an August deal if at all.
Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Prospects, Pirates, Brewers NL East Notes: Mets, Braves West Notes: Padres, A's, Angels Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment NL Notes: Braves, Mets, Cubs, Willis White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Rosenthal On Diamondbacks, Braves, Drew Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment NL Notes: Polanco, Bradley, Abreu AL Notes: Orioles, Izturis, Rangers, Bartlett Week In Review: 4/13/14 - 4/19/14 Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen West Notes: Trout, Kazmir, Padres Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors