WEDNESDAY: Mets CEO Jeff Wilpon spoke to ESPN New York's Adam Rubin and backed up Alderson's statement, though he didn't make it sound like getting a contract worked out with Wright is an urgent matter.
"As Sandy said I think last night, [Wright is] under contract this year," said Wilpon. "We have an option for next year. There's no gun to anybody's head. So let it just play out. And at the right time Sandy and I will discuss it and it'll move on."
TUESDAY: Earlier this month we heard that the Mets were likely to offer David Wright a long-term contract, and today GM Sandy Alderson confirmed to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com that an offer will be made during the season. He would not disclose the size of the offer or when the superstar third baseman could expect it.
"I would expect sometime before the season's over, we will have a conversation," said Alderson. "I'm hopeful he'll be here a long time."
Wright, 29, is making $15MM this season and has a club option for 2013 worth $16MM. He came into the day hitting .373/.474/.578 with five homers and more walks (32) than strikeouts (29). Ryan Zimmerman's six-year, $100MM extension with the Nationals seems like just a starting point for a new Wright deal given his superior performance record and durability.