Here's a look back at the week that was on MLBTR...
- The Giants signed Brad Penny to a minor league contract that would pay the right-hander a pro-rated portion of $500K while with the big league team. The Legacy Sports Group client will head to extended Spring Training next week and is considered a bullpen candidate.
- Free agent right-hander Roy Oswalt threw a bullpen session for the Phillies last week and auditioned for the Red Sox and Rangers earlier this week. Oswalt is also scheduled to throw for one additional unknown team and is expected to return to baseball within one month.
- The Mets are preparing to offer David Wright a long-term contract extension at some point this year, perhaps as soon as this summer.
- The Padres released Orlando Hudson after the former All-Star got off to a slow start at the plate and struggled defensively.
- After 14 MLB seasons, Kerry Wood's playing career has come to an end. In his final appearance on Friday, Wood recorded a strikeout against the lone batter he faced before leaving the game to a standing ovation from the Wrigley faithful.
- The Cardinals announced that they released left-handed reliever J.C. Romero after struggles with the longball plagued the veteran's start to the season.
- The Cubs signed right-handed reliever Mike MacDougal to a minor league deal with hopes that he can eventually help bolster the team's flailing bullpen.
- The Padres claimed left-hander Eric Stults off of waivers from the White Sox. The White Sox designated the 32-year-old for assignment earlier this week.
- The Cubs brought back catcher Koyie Hill, acquiring him from the Reds in exchange for cash considerations.
- The Athletics claimed left-hander Travis Blackley off of waivers from the Giants.
- The Red Sox sent left-hander Hunter Cervenka to the Cubs to complete the April 21 trade that sent Marlon Byrd and cash to Boston for Michael Bowden and a player to be named.
- The Orioles removed Dontrelle Willis from the restricted list and assigned him to Class-A Aberdeen, where he hopes to revive his once-promising career.
- The Angels announced that they replaced hitting coach Mickey Hatcher with Jim Eppard, who had been the hitting coach at Triple-A Salt Lake City.
- The Brewers signed right-hander Claudio Vargas to a minor league deal.
- The Phillies traded outfielder Rich Thompson to the Rays for outfielder Kyle Hudson. Both players have been playing in Triple-A this season.
- The Indians announced that they outrighted reliever Dan Wheeler to Triple-A Columbus after designating him for assignment last weekend.
- The Mets designated reliever D.J. Carrasco for assignment.
- The Orioles signed outfielder Lew Ford to a minor league deal as Baltimore looks to establish outfield depth to help overcome various early season injuries.
- The Cardinals acquired infielder Jamie Romak from the Royals for cash considerations.
- The Yankees claimed infielder Matt Antonelli off of waivers from the Orioles.
Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
MLBTR Originals Alderson On Shortstop, First Base, Rotation, Murphy Ellsbury Contract Is A Guidepost For Shin-Soo Choo MLB, NPB Reach Agreement On Posting System NL West Notes: Uribe, Ibanez, Young, Morse, Ichiro Rakuten Golden Eagles May Not Post Masahiro Tanaka Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson New York Notes: Cashman, Santana, Pelfrey, Ibanez Week In Review: 12/1/13 - 12/7/13 AL East Notes: Price, Orioles, Axford, Hinske Astros Sign Scott Feldman Yankees Open To Trading Ichiro Suzuki Central Notes: Pirates, Royals, White Sox West Notes: Cano, Astros, Padres, Dodgers East Notes: Rays, Phillies, Mets
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors