Here's a look back at the week that was on MLBTR...
- The Giants signed Brad Penny to a minor league contract that would pay the right-hander a pro-rated portion of $500K while with the big league team. The Legacy Sports Group client will head to extended Spring Training next week and is considered a bullpen candidate.
- Free agent right-hander Roy Oswalt threw a bullpen session for the Phillies last week and auditioned for the Red Sox and Rangers earlier this week. Oswalt is also scheduled to throw for one additional unknown team and is expected to return to baseball within one month.
- The Mets are preparing to offer David Wright a long-term contract extension at some point this year, perhaps as soon as this summer.
- The Padres released Orlando Hudson after the former All-Star got off to a slow start at the plate and struggled defensively.
- After 14 MLB seasons, Kerry Wood's playing career has come to an end. In his final appearance on Friday, Wood recorded a strikeout against the lone batter he faced before leaving the game to a standing ovation from the Wrigley faithful.
- The Cardinals announced that they released left-handed reliever J.C. Romero after struggles with the longball plagued the veteran's start to the season.
- The Cubs signed right-handed reliever Mike MacDougal to a minor league deal with hopes that he can eventually help bolster the team's flailing bullpen.
- The Padres claimed left-hander Eric Stults off of waivers from the White Sox. The White Sox designated the 32-year-old for assignment earlier this week.
- The Cubs brought back catcher Koyie Hill, acquiring him from the Reds in exchange for cash considerations.
- The Athletics claimed left-hander Travis Blackley off of waivers from the Giants.
- The Red Sox sent left-hander Hunter Cervenka to the Cubs to complete the April 21 trade that sent Marlon Byrd and cash to Boston for Michael Bowden and a player to be named.
- The Orioles removed Dontrelle Willis from the restricted list and assigned him to Class-A Aberdeen, where he hopes to revive his once-promising career.
- The Angels announced that they replaced hitting coach Mickey Hatcher with Jim Eppard, who had been the hitting coach at Triple-A Salt Lake City.
- The Brewers signed right-hander Claudio Vargas to a minor league deal.
- The Phillies traded outfielder Rich Thompson to the Rays for outfielder Kyle Hudson. Both players have been playing in Triple-A this season.
- The Indians announced that they outrighted reliever Dan Wheeler to Triple-A Columbus after designating him for assignment last weekend.
- The Mets designated reliever D.J. Carrasco for assignment.
- The Orioles signed outfielder Lew Ford to a minor league deal as Baltimore looks to establish outfield depth to help overcome various early season injuries.
- The Cardinals acquired infielder Jamie Romak from the Royals for cash considerations.
- The Yankees claimed infielder Matt Antonelli off of waivers from the Orioles.
Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Perez, Pineda, Mariners, Ramirez, A's Minor Moves: Wil Ledezma Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Ervin Santana Seeks To Sign One-Year Deal Before Opening Day NL Central Notes: Carpenter, Neshek, Phillips, Cubs Diamondbacks, Oliver Perez Nearing Multi-Year Deal Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Padres Claim Alex Castellanos Luke Hochevar To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Royals Release Brad Penny Ervin Santana's Representation Currently Unsettled AL Central Notes: Masterson, De Aza, Santana, Tigers NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors