Here's a look back at the week that was on MLBTR...
- The Giants signed Brad Penny to a minor league contract that would pay the right-hander a pro-rated portion of $500K while with the big league team. The Legacy Sports Group client will head to extended Spring Training next week and is considered a bullpen candidate.
- Free agent right-hander Roy Oswalt threw a bullpen session for the Phillies last week and auditioned for the Red Sox and Rangers earlier this week. Oswalt is also scheduled to throw for one additional unknown team and is expected to return to baseball within one month.
- The Mets are preparing to offer David Wright a long-term contract extension at some point this year, perhaps as soon as this summer.
- The Padres released Orlando Hudson after the former All-Star got off to a slow start at the plate and struggled defensively.
- After 14 MLB seasons, Kerry Wood's playing career has come to an end. In his final appearance on Friday, Wood recorded a strikeout against the lone batter he faced before leaving the game to a standing ovation from the Wrigley faithful.
- The Cardinals announced that they released left-handed reliever J.C. Romero after struggles with the longball plagued the veteran's start to the season.
- The Cubs signed right-handed reliever Mike MacDougal to a minor league deal with hopes that he can eventually help bolster the team's flailing bullpen.
- The Padres claimed left-hander Eric Stults off of waivers from the White Sox. The White Sox designated the 32-year-old for assignment earlier this week.
- The Cubs brought back catcher Koyie Hill, acquiring him from the Reds in exchange for cash considerations.
- The Athletics claimed left-hander Travis Blackley off of waivers from the Giants.
- The Red Sox sent left-hander Hunter Cervenka to the Cubs to complete the April 21 trade that sent Marlon Byrd and cash to Boston for Michael Bowden and a player to be named.
- The Orioles removed Dontrelle Willis from the restricted list and assigned him to Class-A Aberdeen, where he hopes to revive his once-promising career.
- The Angels announced that they replaced hitting coach Mickey Hatcher with Jim Eppard, who had been the hitting coach at Triple-A Salt Lake City.
- The Brewers signed right-hander Claudio Vargas to a minor league deal.
- The Phillies traded outfielder Rich Thompson to the Rays for outfielder Kyle Hudson. Both players have been playing in Triple-A this season.
- The Indians announced that they outrighted reliever Dan Wheeler to Triple-A Columbus after designating him for assignment last weekend.
- The Mets designated reliever D.J. Carrasco for assignment.
- The Orioles signed outfielder Lew Ford to a minor league deal as Baltimore looks to establish outfield depth to help overcome various early season injuries.
- The Cardinals acquired infielder Jamie Romak from the Royals for cash considerations.
- The Yankees claimed infielder Matt Antonelli off of waivers from the Orioles.
Rangers Designate Derek Lowe For Assignment Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs To Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez For Assignment Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Minor Moves: Cousins, Alberto Gonzalez Injury Updates On 2014 Free Agent Starters Midseason Top Prospect Trades NL East Notes: Braves, Brown, Quintero Eric O'Flaherty To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Draft Notes: Appel, Gray, Shipley, Manaea, Stanek Transaction Retrospection: The Jackson-Hudson Trade Scott Proctor Retires Minor Moves: Paulino, Resop, Teahen Rangers Designate Derek Lowe For Assignment Mets Sign David Aardsma Central Notes: Pirates, Royals, Cubs Quick Hits: Gose, Dodgers, Relief Market Trade Market For Lefty Relievers Latest On Nationals, Mike Rizzo
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors