On this date in 2009, catcher Kenji Johjima opted out of the final two years of his contract with the Mariners and forfeited $16MM. He was reportedly unhappy with his reduced playing time and headed home to Japan. Johjima, the first Japanese-born catcher in MLB history, hit .303/.352/.507 with 28 homers for Hanshin Tigers in 2010, but knee and elbow problems limited him to just 62 games over the last two years. The Japan Times reported last month that he will retire after this season due to the injuries. Here is the latest from around the web…
- South Side Sox expects the White Sox to be part of the Alex Rodriguez talks this winter.
- Meanwhile, South Side Showdown doesn't expect the ChiSox to acquire A-Rod.
- Wahoo's on First wonders if the Indians could make a deal for A-Rod.
- Halo Hangout thinks the Angels may be a suitor for A-Rod.
- Amazin' Avenue looked at the cost of signing David Wright to an extension.
- Lone Star Ball says the Rangers failed to make meaningful upgrades at the trade deadline.
- Over The Monster wrote about the idea of trading Jacoby Ellsbury.
- Rising Apple thinks Shin-Soo Choo and Josh Willingham could be fits for the Mets.
- Royals Review wants the Royals roll the dice on Dan Haren if he becomes available.
- Blue Jays Plus wonders where Ricky Romero will end up next season.
- Mike Scioscia's Tragic Illness wrote about some outfield options for the Dodgers.
- Lasorda's Lair wonders if the Dodgers will bring Juan Rivera back next year.
- Cole on LA graded the 2012 Dodgers.
- FanSpeak looked ahead to the upcoming Nationals' offseason.
- Redleg Nation broke down the Reds' payroll and contract situations.
- Burning Dowm the Yard says that Orioles manager Buck Showalter deserves an extension.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. Only one email per week, please.