With mere hours until the winners of MLB's top awards begin to be announced, let's put the mounting excitement aside and take a look at the week that was here at MLBTR...
- Jason Bay and the Mets agreed to an early expiration of his contract, making him a free agent. Bay's three years in New York could not have gone any worse, as the outfielder battled injuries and hit just .234/.318/.369 with 26 homers in 1,125 plate appearances with the team.
- The Nationals and manager Davey Johnson agreed to terms on a new contract that will keep the skipper in his current role for one more season. Johnson, who will turn 70 in January, will assume a consulting role with the team in 2014.
- The Rockies hired Walt Weiss as their next manager. The former shortstop now becomes the sixth manager in club history, dating back to 1993.
- The Dodgers won the negotiating rights to Korean left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu with a $25,737,737.33 bid. Ryu, 25, is a Scott Boras client and the two sides will now have 30 days to work out a contract since the Hanwha Eagles have already accepted the bid.
- Catcher David Ross signed a two-year, $6.2MM contract with the Red Sox after spending a lengthy tenure with the Braves. Ross, 35, hit .269/.353/.463 with Atlanta during that time, including .256/.321/.449 with nine homers in 196 plate appearances this year.
- The Phillies signed Kevin Frandsen to a one-year contract that will pay Frandsen $850K, with incentives possibly pushing the total to $1.2MM. The 30-year-old Frandsen hit .338/.383/.451 in 210 plate appearances as Philadelphia's everyday third baseman over the last two months.
- The White Sox acquired Blake Tekotte from the Padres for right-hander Brandon Kloess. Tekotte, 25, has hit .163/.226/.224 in 55 plate appearances for the Padres over the last two years.
- The Rangers acquired Tommy Hottovy from the Royals for a player to be named later or cash considerations. Hottovy, 31, spent most of the season in the Triple-A Omaha bullpen where he posted a 2.52 ERA with 11.0 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9 in 50 innings.
- Scott Maine may be in search of a new home after being designated for assignment by the Blue Jays.The 27-year-old made 30 relief appearances this year, posting a 6.08 ERA with 10.8 K/9 and 5.1 BB/9 in 26 2/3 innings.
- The Blue Jays agreed to sign Maicer Izturis to a three-year, $10MM contract with a $3MM club option for 2016. Izturis, 32, hit .256/.320/.315 in 319 plate appearances for the Angels this year, his worst full season as a big leaguer.
- The Yankees claimed Josh Spence off waivers from the Padres and claimed David Herndon from the Blue Jays. New York also claimed catcher Eli Whiteside off of waivers from the Giants.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester 2015 Free Agent Power Rankings MLBTR Chat Transcript Blue Jays Designate Marcus Walden, Outright Jeremy Jeffress Padres Offered Headley Three Years, $33-39MM In Offseason AL Central Notes: White Sox, Abreu, Dozier, Cabrera AL West Notes: Pujols, Elias, Mariners' Payroll, Astros Agent Says D'Backs Should Promote Archie Bradley Rays' Matt Moore To Undergo Tommy John Surgery
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors