With mere hours until the winners of MLB's top awards begin to be announced, let's put the mounting excitement aside and take a look at the week that was here at MLBTR...
- Jason Bay and the Mets agreed to an early expiration of his contract, making him a free agent. Bay's three years in New York could not have gone any worse, as the outfielder battled injuries and hit just .234/.318/.369 with 26 homers in 1,125 plate appearances with the team.
- The Nationals and manager Davey Johnson agreed to terms on a new contract that will keep the skipper in his current role for one more season. Johnson, who will turn 70 in January, will assume a consulting role with the team in 2014.
- The Rockies hired Walt Weiss as their next manager. The former shortstop now becomes the sixth manager in club history, dating back to 1993.
- The Dodgers won the negotiating rights to Korean left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu with a $25,737,737.33 bid. Ryu, 25, is a Scott Boras client and the two sides will now have 30 days to work out a contract since the Hanwha Eagles have already accepted the bid.
- Catcher David Ross signed a two-year, $6.2MM contract with the Red Sox after spending a lengthy tenure with the Braves. Ross, 35, hit .269/.353/.463 with Atlanta during that time, including .256/.321/.449 with nine homers in 196 plate appearances this year.
- The Phillies signed Kevin Frandsen to a one-year contract that will pay Frandsen $850K, with incentives possibly pushing the total to $1.2MM. The 30-year-old Frandsen hit .338/.383/.451 in 210 plate appearances as Philadelphia's everyday third baseman over the last two months.
- The White Sox acquired Blake Tekotte from the Padres for right-hander Brandon Kloess. Tekotte, 25, has hit .163/.226/.224 in 55 plate appearances for the Padres over the last two years.
- The Rangers acquired Tommy Hottovy from the Royals for a player to be named later or cash considerations. Hottovy, 31, spent most of the season in the Triple-A Omaha bullpen where he posted a 2.52 ERA with 11.0 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9 in 50 innings.
- Scott Maine may be in search of a new home after being designated for assignment by the Blue Jays.The 27-year-old made 30 relief appearances this year, posting a 6.08 ERA with 10.8 K/9 and 5.1 BB/9 in 26 2/3 innings.
- The Blue Jays agreed to sign Maicer Izturis to a three-year, $10MM contract with a $3MM club option for 2016. Izturis, 32, hit .256/.320/.315 in 319 plate appearances for the Angels this year, his worst full season as a big leaguer.
- The Yankees claimed Josh Spence off waivers from the Padres and claimed David Herndon from the Blue Jays. New York also claimed catcher Eli Whiteside off of waivers from the Giants.
Rockies To Sign Boone Logan Tigers To Sign Joba Chamberlain Phillies To Sign Roberto Hernandez Giants To Sign Mike Morse Marlins, Cubs Swap Ruggiano For Bogusevic Mets To Sign Bartolo Colon Mariners Acquire Logan Morrison Mariners To Sign Corey Hart Nationals Acquire Jerry Blevins Pirates Extend Charlie Morton Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox Re-Sign Mike Napoli
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
D-Backs Acquire Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox Mike Napoli On Re-Signing With Red Sox Mariners Sign Corey Hart Mariners Designate Travis Witherspoon For Assignment Cubs Sign Ryan Roberts Indians Sign Cloyd, Banwart, Carson D-Backs Acquire Todd Glaesmann To Complete Heath Bell Trade Cubs Claim Liam Hendriks Rays Interested In Juan Uribe David Ortiz, Red Sox Talking Extension Tigers Sign Joba Chamberlain Braves To Sign Mat Gamel Indians, David Adams Agree To Major League Deal Mets, Brewers Still Talking Ike Davis Dodgers Acquire Seth Rosin
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors