Here's the top news and stories that made headlines this past week at MLBTR...
- The Nationals signed Adam LaRoche to a two-year contract worth $24MM with a mutual option for 2015. The left-handed hitter posted a .271/.343/.510 batting line in 647 plate appearances as Washington's first baseman.
- The Phillies signed veteran Rodrigo Lopez to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training. Lopez will receive $1MM plus incentives if he's on the big league roster.
- The Orioles avoided arbitration with Nolan Reimold, who will receive $1MM from Baltimore next season.
- The Blue Jays signed catcher Henry Blanco to a non-guaranteed deal for the 2013 season. The 41-year-old Elite Sports Group client would earn $750K at the MLB level.
- Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton invoked his limited no-trade clause to reject an agreed-upon deal between the D'Backs and Mariners that would have sent Upton to Seattle.
- Marcus Thames has been hired as the hitting coach for the Yankees' high A-ball affiliate in Tampa, effectively ending the outfielder's ten-year Major League career.
- The Brewers avoided arbitration with left-hander Chris Narveson, who will earn $840K in 2013.
- The Cubs signed infielder Brent Lillibridge and outfielder Darnell McDonald to minor league contracts.
- Chicago also avoided arbitration with infielder Luis Valbuena, who will earn $930K in 2013.
- The Pirates acquired Jeanmar Gomez from the Indians in exchange for Quincy Latimore. Cleveland had designated the right-hander for assignment last week.
- Pittsburgh's deal with Francisco Liriano has been put on hold after it was revealed that the left-hander suffered a non-throwing arm injury in December.
- The Dodgers signed veteran reliever J.P. Howell to a one-year deal. Howell will reportedly earn $2.85MM with an additional $1.2MM worth of incentives built into the contract.
- The Brewers signed reliever Mike Gonzalez to a one-year contract. The veteran left-hander will earn $2.25MM plus incentives that can increase the value of his contract.
- The Yomiuri Giants signed infielder Jose Lopez to a one-year deal worth $1.2MM guaranteed plus $500K in performance bonuses.
Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Perez, Pineda, Mariners, Ramirez, A's Minor Moves: Wil Ledezma Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Ervin Santana Seeks To Sign One-Year Deal Before Opening Day NL Central Notes: Carpenter, Neshek, Phillips, Cubs Diamondbacks, Oliver Perez Nearing Multi-Year Deal Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Padres Claim Alex Castellanos Luke Hochevar To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Royals Release Brad Penny Ervin Santana's Representation Currently Unsettled AL Central Notes: Masterson, De Aza, Santana, Tigers NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors