A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR this past week:
- Rays' Executive Vice President Andrew Friedman explained the rationale behind his team's file-to-go arbitration strategy to MLBTR contributor Chuck Myron.
- Chuck also spoke with several Rays who had high praise for both Evan Longoria and the front office for the six-year, $100MM extension the All-Star third baseman received last November.
- Tim Dierkes noted contract extensions are down this last offseason, as opposed to a year ago. Past extensions, however, have prevented several prominent players from becoming would-be free agents this winter.
- Tim listed the top 15 players, according to wins above replacement, who are not locked up by multi-year deals and are instead going year-to-year. Tim then explored the parameters of a possible contract extension for the number three player on that list, Jason Heyward.
- The Offseason in Review series concluded with Tim's profile of the Rockies and Steve's recap of the Diamondbacks and Giants.
- Tim provided the latest installment of the Why I Chose My Agency series with Daniel Hudson discussing his agent, Andrew Lowenthal of Proformance.
- Tim ranked agencies by total 2012 wins above replacement, 2012 WAR per player, and the number of four-win players.
- Steve revisited the top minor league signings from the 2011-12 offseason.
- Tim asked MLBTR readers when will the Marlins trade Giancarlo Stanton. More than 70% of you believe Stanton will be in a different uniform before Spring Training opens in 2014.
- Jeff Todd asked MLBTR readers whether the Yankees will let Robinson Cano reach free agency. Over 77% of you believe they will extend the top ranked player in MLBTR's 2014 Free Agent Power Rankings.
- Charlie Wilmoth examined the value of making early-season trades versus mid-season deals.
- Tim hosted this week's live chat.
- Zach Links assembled the best of the baseball blogosphere for you in Baseball Blogs Weigh In.
- Here's the schedule for MLBTR's roster of regular features and exactly what to expect from them.
Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Orioles Not Expected To Sign High-Priced Starter Nationals Notes: Left-Handed Relievers, Buck Orioles Rumors: Ibanez, Ethier, Kemp, Roberts AL West Notes: Astros, Walker, Ackley, Mariners Phillies Shopping Jonathan Papelbon Padres, Sox Have Talked Headley, Quintana In Past NL Notes: Ibanez, O'Flaherty, Cardinals, Halladay MLBTR Originals Alderson On Shortstop, First Base, Rotation, Murphy Ellsbury Contract Is A Guidepost For Shin-Soo Choo MLB, NPB Reach Agreement On Posting System NL West Notes: Uribe, Ibanez, Young, Morse, Ichiro Rakuten Golden Eagles May Not Post Masahiro Tanaka Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson New York Notes: Cashman, Santana, Pelfrey, Ibanez
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors