The managerial rumor mill is revolving around Joe Girardi right now, as he could be entering his final few weeks as the Yankees' manager. Here's the latest on Girardi and the Cubs' search for a new skipper...
- The Cubs are preparing to make Girardi an offer that would make him one of the two highest-paid managers in baseball, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports. The Cubs have yet to receive permission from the Yankees to speak to Girardi but the manager may have requested that the Yankees grant him the ability to speak to the Cubs as one of the "parameters" of accepting a new contract with New York. Sources tell Wittenmyer that "the Cubs and Girardi have expressed mutual interest through back channels for weeks."
- We've already heard that A.J. Hinch is on the Cubs' short list for managerial candidates, and Wittenmyer hears that the list also includes Indians bench coach Sandy Alomar Jr. The Cubs could also have interest in Rays bench coach Dave Martinez and former Nationals and Indians manager Manny Acta.
- Steve Mandell, Girardi's agent, met with Yankees GM Brian Cashman on Wednesday and "exchanged parameters" on a new deal, according to Mark Feinsand and Bill Madden of the New York Daily News. One of those "parameters" could have been the aforementioned persmisson for Girardi to speak to the Cubs, as the Yankees aren't allowing other teams to negotiate with their manager while he is still under contract.
- The "general consensus" is that Girardi will sign a new three-year, $12-$15MM deal to remain with the Yankees, Feinsand and Madden write. If Girardi doesn't return to New York, the Cubs and Nationals are known to have an interest in his services as manager, and it's possible Girardi could speak to FOX Sports about a broadcasting job if he wanted some time away from the dugout.
- Girardi's decision could be made as early as this weekend, Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York reports.
- There is no interest between Brad Ausmus and the Cubs in the team's managerial job, ESPN Chicago's Jesse Rogers reports. The Cubs have said they're looking for candidates with managerial experience, so Ausmus (currently a special assistant to baseball operations with the Padres) doesn't fit.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Chicago Cubs | Cleveland Indians | New York Yankees | San Diego Padres | Tampa Bay Rays
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL East Notes: Santana, Braves, Mets, Manship Braves Acquire Zach Stewart Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Out Of Options Players: AL East Latest On Ervin Santana Morosi's Latest: Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Pineda, JDA Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox MLBTR Originals Chase Headley Extension Remains Unlikely NL Notes: Medlen, Cubs, Padres, Rockies Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors