The managerial rumor mill is revolving around Joe Girardi right now, as he could be entering his final few weeks as the Yankees' manager. Here's the latest on Girardi and the Cubs' search for a new skipper...
- The Cubs are preparing to make Girardi an offer that would make him one of the two highest-paid managers in baseball, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports. The Cubs have yet to receive permission from the Yankees to speak to Girardi but the manager may have requested that the Yankees grant him the ability to speak to the Cubs as one of the "parameters" of accepting a new contract with New York. Sources tell Wittenmyer that "the Cubs and Girardi have expressed mutual interest through back channels for weeks."
- We've already heard that A.J. Hinch is on the Cubs' short list for managerial candidates, and Wittenmyer hears that the list also includes Indians bench coach Sandy Alomar Jr. The Cubs could also have interest in Rays bench coach Dave Martinez and former Nationals and Indians manager Manny Acta.
- Steve Mandell, Girardi's agent, met with Yankees GM Brian Cashman on Wednesday and "exchanged parameters" on a new deal, according to Mark Feinsand and Bill Madden of the New York Daily News. One of those "parameters" could have been the aforementioned persmisson for Girardi to speak to the Cubs, as the Yankees aren't allowing other teams to negotiate with their manager while he is still under contract.
- The "general consensus" is that Girardi will sign a new three-year, $12-$15MM deal to remain with the Yankees, Feinsand and Madden write. If Girardi doesn't return to New York, the Cubs and Nationals are known to have an interest in his services as manager, and it's possible Girardi could speak to FOX Sports about a broadcasting job if he wanted some time away from the dugout.
- Girardi's decision could be made as early as this weekend, Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York reports.
- There is no interest between Brad Ausmus and the Cubs in the team's managerial job, ESPN Chicago's Jesse Rogers reports. The Cubs have said they're looking for candidates with managerial experience, so Ausmus (currently a special assistant to baseball operations with the Padres) doesn't fit.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Chicago Cubs | Cleveland Indians | New York Yankees | San Diego Padres | Tampa Bay Rays
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Jeremy Jeffress Elects Free Agency Minor Moves: Adam Loewen, Matt Neil White Sox Designate Donnie Veal For Assignment Teams Wield Advance Consent Hammer California Notes: Ramirez, Billingsley, Puig, Athletics AL Notes: Nunez, Vizquel, Cousins, A's AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors