Here's the latest on two National League managerial situations, and one more that has already been resolved ...
- The Cubs are becoming increasingly active in vetting candidates to take over the managing duties at Wrigley Field. First up for an interview were Manny Acta and A.J. Hinch, says MLB.com's Cash Kruth.
- Next in line to talk with president Theo Epstein and GM Jed Hoyer is Rick Renteria, whose interview was set to take place today Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune tweeted. The Padres bench coach managed the Mexican entry in the 2013 World Baseball Classic. ESPN's Buster Olney tweets that the club is working hard on its due diligence on Renteria, while USA Today's Bob Nightengale opines via Twitter that he is as likely as anyone to get tapped, and may even be a close favorite.
- Also in line for an in-person chat is longtime Rays bench coach Dave Martinez. The longtime big leaguer never stayed in one place for too long during his playing career, but tells Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times (Twitter link) that he "love[s] Chicago" and is very excited for the opportunity.
- The winds can shift quickly in baseball. After dropping two straight to the Cards, Dodgers players are privately griping about Don Mattingly's shortcomings as a skipper, reports USA Today's Bob Nightengale. The club will nevertheless retain and extend him, says Nightengale, with the possibility of a dismissal waning after making it out of the divisional round. Don't expect Los Angeles to hand him a four-year deal, however, Nightengale notes.
- Unless that bit of news came from Dodgers president Stan Kasten, says Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times, it may not mean anything. Dilbeck criticizes Kasten for having left Mattingly dangling all year without any public discussion of whether he would return, in spite of the fact that the organization has an option on him for next year. Unfortunately, says Dilbeck, that has allowed speculation and intrigue to blossom right at the point at which it is most harmful.
- Fired Phillies skipper Charlie Manuel is still trying to decide whether to accept an offer from his former club to do a combination of PR work, player development, and advising of GM Ruben Amaro Jr. He talked about his decision on MLB Network Radio with hosts Brad Lidge (his former closer) and Jeff Joyce. (Audio link.) Manuel said that he wants to stay in baseball, and particularly emphasized that he "still want[s] to manage."
Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Prospects, Pirates, Brewers NL East Notes: Mets, Braves West Notes: Padres, A's, Angels Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment NL Notes: Braves, Mets, Cubs, Willis White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Rosenthal On Diamondbacks, Braves, Drew Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment NL Notes: Polanco, Bradley, Abreu AL Notes: Orioles, Izturis, Rangers, Bartlett Week In Review: 4/13/14 - 4/19/14 Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen West Notes: Trout, Kazmir, Padres Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors