- Out Of Options 2014
- 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
- 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2014 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- Non-Tender Candidates
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014
- Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Quick Hits: Int’l Scouting, Morales, Olt, Taveras, Pitching Tandems
- NL West Notes: Trumbo, Hundley, Guerrero
- Minor Moves: McGrady, Gonzalez, Robertson, Wade
- Josh Johnson To Undergo Tommy John Surgery
- Travis Ishikawa Elects Free Agency
- Latest On Kevin Towers, Kirk Gibson
- A’s Reject 10-Year Lease Offer From Coliseum Authority
- Daily Fantasy Baseball Contest: Win Share Of $100K Payout
- NL Notes: Hellweg, Cuddyer, Cubs, Espinosa
- Padres In Active Trade Talks Involving Nick Hundley
- Rangers Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment
- AL Notes: Amador, Lester, Gonzalez
- Astros Outright Lucas Harrell
- Padres Acquire Tyler Greene From Braves
- Tommy John Surgery Likely For Ivan Nova
MLBTR Mailing List
- How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries
- Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB
- Scouting Masahiro Tanaka
- Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present
- Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals
- Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA
- Future Salary Obligations In Context
- Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings
- Why I Chose My Agency Series
- Arbitration Breakdown
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Mike MacDougal Rumors
Links for Tuesday…
- MLB.com's Bill Ladson reports that Mike MacDougal left the Nationals' Triple A club via an out clause, but could remain with the organization if they decide to promote him to the Majors.
- Dave O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution speculates on some outfield options for the Braves.
- According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Chris Duffy accepted the Brewers' assignment to Triple A. Duffy was designated for assignment on May 22nd.
- For some reason, Scott Boras weighed in on the Padres' attempt to trade Jake Peavy (talking to Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union-Tribune). Boras suggested it might be a breach of contract, but Peavy's agent Barry Axelrod isn't as offended. Barry Rozner of the Daily Herald has more from Axelrod, who said, "the entire process was unfair."
- Howard Megdal of SNY campaigns for the Mets to acquire a passable shortstop, while retaining Ramon Castro and Brian Schneider as catchers.
- MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo looks at the middle infielders in the upcoming draft. And MLB.com's Lisa Winston has a column on Grant Green.
- Talking to Jack Curry of the New York Times, C.C. Sabathia wondered about his six-year old son's possible high school future in New Jersey. Sabathia can choose to opt out of his contract after the 2011 season. Is this anything? The kid will be going to high school in eight years or so, so the contract will be up regardless. More telling might be Sabathia's comments to Jayson Stark earlier this month.
Memorial Day linkage…
- MLB.com's Bill Ladson says it's decision time for Mike MacDougal and the Nationals.
- Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune transcribed comments made by White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf to ESPN 1000's Chuck Swirsky. Reinsdorf said the Sox are moving on from the Jake Peavy deal and also implied that no one is untouchable.
- Joe Maddon's three-year extension with the Rays is official.
- Craig Brazell agreed to a deal with the Hanshin Tigers, according to reports gathered by Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker. Brazell had been playing for the St. Paul Saints after nothing materialized from an Orioles spring training invite.
- Murray Chass talks about Jeff Moorad's path to becoming part-owner of the Padres.
- Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic writes about the D'Backs, who have seven of the first 64 draft picks.
- Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times has an interesting article about minor league free agents.
Bill Ladson of MLB.com tells us that the Nationals have given right-hander Gary Glover his unconditional release following 10 appearances in which Glover totaled a 6.32 ERA with the Nationals Triple-A affiliate in Syracuse. Glover became replaceable once the Nationals inked Mike MacDougal to a minor league deal last week. MacDougal will join the major league club after a few weeks.
Ladson also cites acting general manager Mike Rizzo in saying that Jorge Sosa will soon be ready to join the Syracuse club on May 22, as his 50-game suspension wraps up. Sosa was suspended last year after testing positive for an amphetamine.
According to the Associated Press, via the Miami Herald, the Nationals have agreed to terms on a non-guaranteed minor league contract with right-hander Mike MacDougal.
He was immediately assigned to Triple-A Syracuse. MacDougal, 32, was designated for assignment by the White Sox on April 21, after racking up a 12.46 ERA in five games. The Nationals will have the chance to retain MacDougal for 2010 as an arbitration-eligible player, if they choose.
Chico Harlan of the Washington Post has more.
According to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune, the White Sox released reliever Mike MacDougal today. He'd been designated for assignment a week ago. The White Sox will assume the $3MM remaining on his contract, less his salary for his new team.
The White Sox acquired MacDougal for pitchers Tyler Lumsden and Daniel Cortes back in July of 2006. That swap and MacDougal's extension were a couple of rare missteps for Sox GM Ken Williams.
According to WSCR 670 out of Chicago, White Sox reliever Mike MacDougal was designated for assignment to make room for Jack Egbert. MacDougal surprisingly broke camp with the Sox, but he's had a rough go of it in five appearances. He's still owed $3MM from the extension signed in December of '06.
The Chicago White Sox have announced their Spring Training invitees.
The White Sox invited 18 players: Left-handed pitching prospect Aaron Poreda and infield prospect Gordon Beckham; catchers Tyler Flowers and Donny Lucey; right-handed reliever Mike MacDougal joins fellow White Sox minor leaguers Poreda and Beckham as non-roster invitees.
These 13 signed minor-league deals with the White Sox: Infielders Javier Castillo, Bryan Myrow, Sergio Santos and Eider Torres; catchers Corky Miller and Chris Stewart; outfielders Josh Kroeger and Michael Restovich; right-handed pitchers Ryan Braun, Franklyn German, Brad Salmon and Jon Van Benschoten ; left-handed pitcher Randy Williams.
Time for some early Monday odds and ends.
- Remember how White Sox GM Ron Schueler embarrassed Cubs GM Ed Lynch in 1998 by acquiring Jon Garland for Matt Karchner? Rany Jazayerli sees a parallel to that heist with the Royals’ acquisition of Daniel Cortes as part of the July ’06 Mike MacDougal trade.
- Mike Berardino’s blog continues to entertain; this time with a Dan Miceli story. Ah, knife fights with siblings. Who among us can say they haven’t had one or two?
- Buster Olney learned from Braves GM Frank Wren that Kelly Johnson has been the team’s most asked-for player in trade talks this winter.
- The look on Kyle Kendrick‘s face is priceless.
- Extension talks with the Twins and Joe Nathan have gone dormant. Nathan still thinks the gap can be bridged but wants it done before the season begins.
- Andy Marte and Shin-Soo Choo are both out of options; when Choo comes back from elbow surgery a month into the season one of them could be traded.
- Henry Schulman says the White Sox may accept prospects from the Giants for Joe Crede.
- Derek Lowe is entering his walk year, and he hasn’t had any extension talks with the Dodgers yet.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Andy Marte | Atlanta Braves | Chicago Cubs | Chicago White Sox | Cleveland Indians | Dan Miceli | Daniel Cortes | Derek Lowe | Joe Crede | Joe Nathan | Jon Garland | Kansas City Royals | Kelly Johnson | Kyle Kendrick | Los Angeles Dodgers | Miami Marlins | Mike MacDougal | Minnesota Twins | Philadelphia Phillies | San Francisco Giants | Shin-Soo Choo
Couple of reliever signings occurred today.
The Cards inked righty Russ Springer to a one-year deal for $1.75MM. Can’t complain about that one in a world where Mike Stanton got two years. The Devil Rays may have to focus on David Riske now.
Meanwhile, the White Sox locked down Mike MacDougal for three years and $6.45MM with a club option for 2010. The idea here is to buy out his arbitration years and perhaps first year of free agency. If healthy, he provides a viable alternative should Bobby Jenks be unable to pitch the ninth inning.
Breaking news from ESPN is that the White Sox are "extremely close" to acquiring Alfonso Soriano. It seems that Brandon McCarthy is the main piece of the deal.
The result would be a Murderer’s Row with five players currently slugging .539 or better: Thome (.632), Dye (.620), Soriano (.594), Konerko (.555), and Crede (.539). The Sox already lead baseball in home runs with 146.
What’s more, ESPN also reports that Kenny Williams is looking to strengthen his bullpen by sending 23 year-old southpaw Double A starter Tyler Lumsden to the Royals for Mike MacDougal. Lumsden isn’t striking anyone out, but still has a 2.69 ERA for Birmingham. He had elbow surgery in January of last year.
MacDougal has thrown four scoreless innings for the Royals since returning from a shoulder strain. He was able to cut his walks to a reasonable level last year and had his best season.
UPDATE: MacDougal is a done deal. Another pitcher was added to complete the trade.