- Blue Jays Sign Dayan Viciedo
- Michael Saunders To Miss 5-6 Weeks After Knee Surgery
- Blue Jays, Athletics Talking With Dayan Viciedo
- Doug Melvin On Papelbon Trade Talks, K-Rod Signing
- Brewers To Re-Sign Francisco Rodriguez
- Juan Pierre Officially Retires
- Aramis Ramirez Likely To Retire After 2015 Season
- Blue Jays Sign Johan Santana To Minors Deal
- Brady Aiken Enrolls At IMG Academy
- Francisco Rodriguez Agrees To Terms With Unidentified Team
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Baseball Blogs Weigh In: D’Backs, Blue Jays, Nats
- Blue Jays Sign Dayan Viciedo
- Quick Hits: Cuba, Tomas, McCutchen
- East Notes: Hart, Hardy, Belisario
- Glenn Flesig On Tommy John Incidence
- Phillies Notes: Rollins, Herrera, Oliver, Aumont
- Scherzer On Signing With The Nationals
- AL Notes: Rodon, Hamilton, Zito
- Quick Hits: Japanese Signees, Phillies, McCutchen
- Minor Moves: Jesus Pirela
- Central Notes: Sale, Cubs, Floyd
- AL East Notes: Moncada, Beckham, Duquette
- Team Payroll Restrictions Could Be Issue In Next Round Of CBA Talks
- Week In Review: 2/21/15 – 2/28/15
- Looking At Landing Spots For Rafael Soriano
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Ryan Garko Rumors
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News has the goods on the Giants, after speaking with GM Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy.
- Technically, Sabean and Bochy's contracts are up at the end of the month. They don't have commitments for 2010 in hand, yet the expectation is that both will be back.
- In discussing Tim Lincecum's upcoming arbitration case, Sabean referenced Ryan Howard's record first-time award ($10MM) from February of '08. Of course, with Howard, the Phillies screwed up by submitting only $7MM. Sabean wants to file his salary request for Lincecum before discussing a long-term deal, so as to not show his hand early.
- Closer Brian Wilson is another first-time arbitration-eligible player, and you have to think he'll jump up to $5MM+.
- The Giants would like to restructure Freddy Sanchez's $8.1MM option into a two-year deal, but seem confident in his return. Baggarly says they even consider the option as a fallback if the restructuring fails. I can't see Sanchez getting $8.1MM on the open market.
- A Brad Penny return appears unlikely. If he sticks to the NL and the West Coast he'll be down to the Padres pretty much. It'd also be surprising to see the Giants re-sign catcher Bengie Molina, who wants a two-year deal worth more than $6MM annually.
- Sabean wouldn't rule out trading a pitcher for a bat, but said he'd agonize over such a decision.
- Brandon Medders, Justin Miller, and Ryan Garko are non-tender candidates. The Buster Posey and Madison Bumgarner call-ups locked up two 40-man roster spots.
- Quoting Baggarly: Sabean justified the $18.5 million contract he gave [Edgar Renteria] last winter by saying they needed a veteran shortstop."
More links as the rumors keep flowing in…
- La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune "heard the Twins might be sniffing around Seattle reliever Sean White." White's best skill is a decent groundball rate; his strikeout and walk rates do not impress.
- The White Sox inked second-round pick Trayce Thompson, according to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune. The high school outfielder, chosen 61st overall, gets $625K.
- Tony Massarotti of the Boston Globe is fairly sure the Red Sox won't trade Daniel Bard this week.
- Chico Harlan of the Washington Post believes the Nats should keep Josh Willingham because he's relatively affordable, powerful and plays well enough defensively.
- ESPN.com's Keith Law says Ryan Garko is a small upgrade for the Giants at first base.
- The Rangers believed they were frontrunners to acquire Garko yesterday, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. They'd still like a right-handed hitting first baseman.
- The Mets signed former big leaguer Adam Pettyjohn to a minor league deal, according to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post.
Tim Dierkes contributed to this post.
8:52pm: Via email, ESPN's Buster Olney says the Tribe will call up Andy Marte to take Garko's place on the roster. Marte is hitting .330-.371-.599 with Triple-A Columbus, and has six homers in his last ten games.
8:46pm: MLB.com's Anthony Castovince says there is no player to named in the deal. It's Garko for Barnes, straight up.
8:31pm: Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus says the Indians received LHP prospect Scott Barnes and a player to be named later in the deal. Barnes was the Giants 8th round pick in 2008, and has a 2.85 ERA in 18 starts with High-A San Jose. Baseball America rated him the Giants' 9th best prospect coming into the season.
8:22pm: Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse is reporting that Giants have acquired Ryan Garko from the Indians. Garko, 28, was hitting .285-.362-.464 in 273 plate appearances coming into today, playing mostly first but spending some time in the corner outfield spots.
The Giants have been looking to add a bat to their lineup pretty much all season.
Giants fans have heard all about Freddy Sanchez and Nick Johnson in recent weeks, but those are far from the only players the team would consider adding, according to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News. GM Brian Sabean says the team is considering "six to eight scenarios or names," some of which involve players on teams in the fringes of the playoff race.
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle says the Indians have scouted the Giants' system. The Indians have Victor Martinez and Ryan Garko, who could both appeal to the Giants. Aubrey Huff and Marco Scutaro are also options for the Giants, who could add a bat at a number of positions.
As we cruise closer to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, the Giants still boast one of baseball's most intriguing situations. The club is 52-46 — 10 games behind the Dodgers in the National League West, but just two games back in the Wild Card. Most experts agree they need a bat to continue contending, and they've been linked recently to sluggers like Victor Martinez, Ryan Garko and Nick Johnson.
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle recently heard "word from [Giants] general manager Brian Sabean that chances for a deal are 50-50."
"We're talking," manager Bruce Bochy said Sunday as his club prepared to head home after a long road trip. "I'll talk to Brian. I'll discuss it with the staff on the plane on the way back and see what we can do to get this thing going again."
Schulman believes the Giants might also have interest in Toronto's Marco Scutaro or Baltimore's Aubrey Huff. Either way, it's pretty clear what San Francisco is seeking as Friday's deadline nears: offense.