Tim Beckham Rumors
Here's today's link collection.
- Hal McCoy seems fairly certain that Ken Griffey Jr. will play out the season with the Reds.
- Dejan Kovacevic has heard that the Pirates are torn between Pedro Alvarez and Tim Beckham at #2.
- Cha Seung Baek has been DFA'd, and this time he might be claimed. He could have a career as a fifth starter somewhere.
- John Brattain explains why he feels teams are colluding against Barry Bonds.
- The Rangers DFA'd reliever Franklyn German; Evan Grant explains why.
- The Indians claimed reliever Oneli Perez from the White Sox. Baseball America says the six-fingered pitcher has attitude questions.
- According to Buster Olney, David Wells is still waiting by the phone hoping for a team to call.
- RotoAuthority examines Daniel Cabrera's hot start.
In a recent blog post, ESPN's Peter Gammons told us not to be surprised if the Rays take Florida State catcher Buster Posey first overall in the June draft. Posey, a former shortstop, has the skills and frame to behind the plate in his career.
Baseball America's Jim Callis recently analyzed the Rays' most likely options (print issue 0809). He doesn't see the Rays choosing Boras-represented corner infielder Pedro Alvarez. Pitchers Brian Matusz and Aaron Crow and shortstop Tim Beckham are the top talents after Alvarez. Callis, like Gammons, notes that the Rays could go for Posey if they choose to draft for their "biggest organizational weakness."
It seems that the experts' expectation for the Rays' pick is Beckham, but we'll keep you updated in the coming months.
Time for a link roundup.
- SI.com's Jon Heyman says the Mets have talked with Edgardo Alfonzo. Alfonzo, 34, came up a Met and snagged MVP votes in 2000 with a .967 OPS.
- Seems like Aaron Hill's contract extension may wait until after the season, when his offensive value is more clearly established.
- No interest in Steve Kline yet...teams will probably wait the Giants out so they don't have to pay his $1.75MM salary.
- If Chris Reitsma doesn't make a decision soon about heading to Triple A, the Ms could place him on the restricted list.
- Dejan Kovacevic hasn't heard anything about Adam LaRoche as a trade candidate, even though extension talks fizzled.
- Kevin Goldstein believes shortstop Tim Beckham is the "top talent in the draft."
Baseball America's Jim Callis has the June '08 draft order, with supplemental and compensation picks accounted for. The Rays have another #1 pick - who's it going to be? Baseball Prospectus' Kevin Goldstein expects the Rays to pick corner infielder Pedro Alvarez, shortstop Tim Beckham, or starter Aaron Crow. Here's a scouting perspective on Crow, by the way.