Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution has the latest on the Braves in a new blog post.
- The Braves never intended Mike Hampton to be one of the two front-rotation starters they acquire this winter, so his rejection of their offer doesn’t affect their plans much.
- O’Brien notes that he’s heard no indications that the Braves are actively pursuing Derek Lowe. A.J. Burnett seems to be their top target, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Jake Peavy talks revived at the Winter Meetings.
- The Braves made trade inquiries on Roy Oswalt and Matt Cain and "haven’t received favorable replies in those pursuits."
- Free agents Ben Sheets and Randy Johnson don’t seem to be on the radar due to concerns over their reliability.
- The Braves continue to seek a power bat, with Ryan Ludwick and Jermaine Dye the two targets mentioned in recent weeks.