A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR the last seven days:
- Charlie Wilmoth opines a pre-free agency contract extension might represent the best chance for Kole Calhoun to land a big payday, due to his age. Charlie envisions a five-year deal, plus a team option, guaranteeing slightly more than $21MM ($27-30MM, if Calhoun qualifies for Super Two status) as working for both sides.
- Jeff Todd asked MLBTR readers to pick the winner of the Rusney Castillo sweepstakes. Just 19.5% of you correctly predicted the Red Sox landing the Cuban outfielder/infielder.
- Zach Links was the first to report right-hander Wirfin Obispo was outrighted by the Pirates to Triple-A Indianapolis.
- Zach also broke the news left-hander Clay Rapada will take some time to let his injured ankle heal before pursuing his next contract.
- This past week marked the anniversary of two recent transactions by the Cubs, so Jeff revisited the 2013 trade of David DeJesus to the Nationals and Starlin Castro’s seven-year, $60MM extension in 2012.
- Steve Adams hosted this week’s chat.
- Zach compiled the latest edition of Baseball Blogs Weigh In.