A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR the last seven days:
- After an offseason trade to the White Sox, Jeff Samardzija struggled through his worst season in four years as a starting pitcher, but he’ll still likely aim for a sizable multiyear contract in free agency, as Tim Dierkes writes. Draft pick compensation could be a deterrent for some suitors, but for other teams, the hurler represents an opportunity to add a strong No. 2 starter at a (relatively) reasonable price.
- On the most recent edition of the MLB Trade Rumors Podcast, host Jeff Todd spoke with MLB.com’s Angels beat writer Alden Gonzalez to get the latest on the Angels. A new episode of the MLB Trade Rumors Podcast is released every Thursday and can be accessed on iTunes, SoundCloud, and Stitcher.
- The Rangers are looking to return to the postseason even though they could lose a few key contributors to free agency. Steve Adams took an in-depth look at how the Rangers could improve despite the roadblocks they’ll be facing this winter.
- Can the Pirates put together a deal to land Freddie Freeman? Probably not, according to Steve Adams, MLBTR’s resident Debbie Downer. The most recent edition of the MLBTR Mailbag also touches on the Angels’ remaining trade options and whether the Mets need to seek out some power in the middle of their lineup.
- For the first time in a while, the Nationals enter the winter with a variety of question marks and a lack of linear solutions, Jeff writes. It has been widely speculated that Gerardo Parra is a strong fit for the Nationals’ lineup, but there are plenty of other moves that GM Mike Rizzo could make in the coming months.
- Staying on top ain’t easy. Over the weekend, Steve Adams looked at what the Royals will have to do to defend their crown.
- Recently, MLB Trade Rumors launched a brand new official Instagram account:@TradeRumorsMLB. Each day, we’re sharing conversation-inspiring images about the hottest topics in baseball. From there, we invite you to give us a like, weigh in with your thoughts in the comments section, and even share the link with a friend. So, what are you waiting for? If you don’t have an Instagram account, this is the perfect excuse to sign up and get one. Follow us on Instagram today!
- Steve and Jeff each hosted live chats this week, check out the transcripts here and here.