A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR the last seven days:
- Brett Ballantini caught up with White Sox GM Rick Hahn in an exclusive interview. In the Q&A, Hahn spoke about prospect Tim Anderson, the differences between this offseason and the previous one, and much much more.
- In Dunedin, Florida, Blue Jays catcher Russell Martin spoke to MLBTR about his trip through free agency prior to the 2015 season. “It wasn’t stressful or anything. [Free agency] has never really been a stressful process for me,” Martin said. “I don’t have any kids or anything like that. I don’t have any family, so there’s nothing for me to answer to. The ability for me to play at home, for the team I grew up cheering for, that always had a good ring to it for me. The other options were [the Dodgers] and the Cubs, and those are really good places to play, so it was all positive for me. I really enjoyed the process this time.”
- On this week’s edition of the MLB Trade Rumors Podcast, host Jeff Todd spoke with Washington Post national baseball writer Barry Svrluga about some of the biggest storylines surrounding the Nationals in 2016. Jeff also spoke with MLBTR’s Charlie Wilmoth to discuss what’s ahead for the Pirates. A new episode of the podcast is released every Thursday and can be accessed on iTunes, SoundCloud, and Stitcher.
- Steve Adams looked at the Tigers’ aggressive offseason and noted that newly-elevated GM Al Avila is continuing the team’s win-now approach. The Tigers initially looked to replace Yoenis Cespedes on the cheap, but they went on to ink Justin Upton to a lucrative deal which could potentially only last for two seasons. The Tigers also pounced early in free agency with the addition of starter Jordan Zimmermann.
- The Cubs are eager to win in 2016 and they laid out major money this winter to help accomplish that goal. MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes ran down the team’s moves, including their free agent pickups of Jason Heyward, Ben Zobrist, John Lackey, and Dexter Fowler. In the reader poll at the close of the piece, more than 77% of you gave the Cubs an “A” for their winter dealings.
- There’s a new GM in Seattle and a whole lot of change on the roster. Charlie looked back on the Mariners’ offseason and the moves that were made to help support the club’s talented core.
- Tim compiled this year’s list of out-of-options players using MLBTR’s sources.
- The Giants surprised many by signing both Jeff Samardzija and Johnny Cueto this offseason. Jeff looked back at those significant signings in addition to the other moves made by Bobby Evans & Co. In the team’s “deal of note” section, Jeff broke down the lucrative extension for Brandon Crawford.