Next up in our series of trade deadline roundups is the NL Central.
- The Cubs acquired righty Joe Smith from the Angels for pitching prospect Jesus Castillo. They also completed their deal for Aroldis Chapman, in which they sent Adam Warren and prospects Gleyber Torres, Billy McKinney and Rashad Crawford to New York.
- The Reds got infield prospect Dilson Herrera and lefty Max Wotell from the Mets in exchange for outfielder Jay Bruce. They came close to trading shortstop Zack Cozart to Seattle, but that deal was never consummated.
- After star catcher Jonathan Lucroy vetoed a trade to Cleveland, the Brewers sent him and reliever Jeremy Jeffress to Texas in exchange for outfielder Lewis Brinson, pitcher Luis Ortiz and a player to be named. They also sent lefty Will Smith to San Francisco in exchange for pitching prospect Phil Bickford and catcher Andrew Susac.
- The Pirates shipped closer Mark Melancon to Washington in exchange for lefty reliever Felipe Rivero and lefty prospect Taylor Hearn. Later, in a surprising move, they sent lefty Francisco Liriano and top prospects Harold Ramirez and Reese McGuire to Toronto in exchange for righty Drew Hutchison and relief from Liriano’s contract. They also dealt struggling lefty Jon Niese to the Mets in exchange for lefty reliever Antonio Bastardo, and they acquired righty Ivan Nova from the Yankees for two players to be named.
- The Cardinals had a quiet deadline, but they got lefty Zach Duke from the White Sox in exchange for minor league outfielder Charlie Tilson.