Braves Sign Edward Salcedo

The Braves officially signed 18-year-old Dominican shortstop Edward Salcedo to a deal worth $1.6MM today. He was considered one of the best prospects in Latin America back in 2008, however MLB launched an investigation to confirm his age and identity at the Braves’ behest. 

Salcedo’s birthday was recently established as July 30, 1991. Originally represented by Scott Boras, Salcedo is now represented by Edgar Mercedes, who said the Braves were his client’s first option. Reports in 2008 indicated that Boras was seeking upwards of $5MM for Salcedo. Atlanta recently applied for a visa to allow him to visit their Spring Training complex. 

Atlanta considered Salcedo the equivalent of a high first round pick, which is good because they forfeited their 2010 first rounder to sign Billy Wagner and didn’t receive compensation picks for Rafael Soriano. Already standing 6′-3″, Salcedo is considered to be one of the best offensive players to come out of the Dominican in quite some time, however there are some questions about his ability to remain at short.

The AP first reported that Salcedo’s age had been confirmed (thanks to Nick Collias for the translation), and MLB.com’s Mark Bowman reported that the two sides were near an agreement. Dave O’Brien of The Atlanta Journal Constitution reported the terms.

Mike Axisa contributed to this post.

Heyman On Blalock, Crawford, Reynolds

The latest from SI's Jon Heyman

  • Heyman writes that the Rays and Marlins are thought to have interest in Hank Blalock.  We discussed Blalock here; his prospects are dim now that the Indians, Orioles, Braves, and Pirates have gone in different directions.
  • Heyman notes that the Yankees love Carl Crawford and that could be one reason they were reluctant to give Johnny Damon a two-year deal.  We discussed Crawford's situation earlier today.
  • The Diamondbacks offered Mark Reynolds an extension to cover his first three arbitration years, in the $11MM range.  That'd be quite a concession, since he should easily top $5MM in his first arbitration year.
  • Heyman tweets that the Braves and Reds "could be in the mix" for outfielder Garret Anderson.  Presumably, Anderson is in line for a minor league deal.  He was linked to the Dodgers before they signed Reed Johnson.

Johnny Damon Rumors: Saturday

After the White Sox pulled their offer to Johnny Damon yesterday, Braves' GM Frank Wren indicated to MLB.com's Mark Bowman that "Nothing has changed on our end," perhaps meaning that they weren't preparing a last minute offer. At the moment, it appears the only offer Damon and his camp have is from the Tigers, who reportedly offered a deal worth up to $7.5MM with some money deferred. 

ESPN's Buster Olney reported yesterday that Scott Boras wanted one of two things from Tigers' owner Mike Ilitch: a one-year deal that doesn't include any deferred money, or a legitimate two-year deal. 

Johnny Damon Rumors: Friday

7:15pm: Morosi and Ken Rosenthal at FOX Sports provide another Damon update, writing that the Tigers' offer to the outfielder could be worth up to about $7.5MM, with some of it deferred. They acknowledge that it's anyone's guess where the 36-year-old lands, suggesting that the Rays and Braves could still be under-the-radar players for Damon.

5:36pm: Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports reports (via Twitter) that, according to Dombrowski, Williams' comments will not affect the Tigers' approach to Damon.

5:00pm: Let's not rule the White Sox out completely. Williams told Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times that Damon has until Sunday morning to take the team's last offer.

4:27pm: Williams told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune that Damon and Boras were willing to be creative (Twitter link). Ultimately, Williams says "the total dollars and cents didn't make sense" for the White Sox.

3:41pm: ESPN.com's Buster Olney hears that Scott Boras wants two things from the Tigers. First, he's asking them to remove all deferred money from the one-year $7MM deal they have offered. Second, he wants the Tigers to add a second year (Twitter links).

3:26pm: The White Sox have pulled their offer to Damon, reports Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com. White Sox GM Kenny Williams said he had to withdraw it.

"It became clear to us in our recent negotiations that the money that we were offering was not going to be good enough for Johnny at this time," Williams said.

Williams said the White Sox are "very much interested in" Damon. Levine hears that the White Sox offered him $6MM. Levine's sources tell him that the Tigers never offered a two-year deal; they have only offered a one-year $7MM contract.

9:29am: Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski went public with his interest in Johnny Damon yesterday, confirming to Patrick Zier of the Lakeland Ledger that he's offered Damon a contract.  Dombrowski would not discuss the particulars of the offer, though a source of Zier's "would be very surprised if it's for more than one year."

As you know, Scot Gregor of the Daily Herald finds the White Sox an unlikely landing spot for Damon given GM Kenny Williams' plan to "talk about this on Sunday."

ESPN's Buster Olney spoke to one executive involved in Damon talks in recent months who said, "There is so much BS out there, and [I] don't want to contribute to it."

Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Mets, Gonzalez, Contreras

On this date back in 1983, Dodgers' hurler Fernando Valenzuela became the first player in baseball history to receive a seven-figure award through the arbitration process. During his first two-plus seasons as a big leaguer, Fernandomania had been named the Rookie of the Year, appeared in two All Star Games, and won a Cy Young Award. The arbitration panel awarded him a $1MM salary in his first year of eligibility, nearly tripling his 1982 salary. 

As the last few present day arbitration cases wrap up, here are some links to check out from around the baseball blogiverse…

If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here.

Odds & Ends: Cardinals, Burnett, Chapman, Reyes

Links for Thursday…

Ruiz, Anderson Drawing Interest, Could Sign Soon


Jose Julio Ruiz is drawing more interest than fellow Cuban first baseman Leslie Anderson, reports ESPN.com’s Jorge Arangure Jr.. Ruiz has attracted interest from many teams, including the Red Sox and his agents have fielded multiple offers. It’s unlikely that the 25-year-old will sign before Monday, but he could sign soon. Some teams wonder if Ruiz could hit in the majors immediately.

Anderson worked out in Mexico last week, but the nine teams that watched the 27-year-old were generally unimpressed. One interested executive called the showing "mediocre at best." Still, Anderson could sign with a big league club within a week.

Here are a few other notes from Arangure Jr.:
  • Eduardo Salcedo, an 18-year-old infielder, could be cleared to sign with MLB teams sometime this week. If everything goes through, the D’Backs and Braves will be among the teams interested in signing him. The bidding could reach $2MM for the shortstop-third baseman.
  • The Pirates agreed to sign 17-year-old Dominican outfielder Willy Garcia for $280K. 
  • The D’Backs signed 17-year-old Dominican outfielder Socrates Abrito for $190K.

Johnny Damon Rumors: Wednesday

11:06pm: Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune hears from a team source who says he can imagine Damon signing with the White Sox. "I think we have a good shot to get him now," the source said.

Another person discounted the importance of Damon's recent golf outing with Pierzynski and Harrelson.

6:26pm: Joe Cowley talks to Pierzynski about the Damon negotiations, and Cowley quotes an unnamed member of the White Sox who says "I would be surprised if [Damon] didn't sign with us.''

4:13pm: Rosenthal tweets that the present-day value of Chicago's offer to Damon is in the $4.5MM range, considering deferrals.  He's hearing that Damon doesn't want to go to the Tigers.  As for Damon's wife's preferences, the player texted to SI's Jon Heyman that "It's up to me.  She's going wherever I go."  Cowley tweets that the Sox "are going from long shots to frontrunners in the Damon sweepstakes the last few hours."

12:02pm: Rosenthal wrote yesterday that "some with the White Sox are confident that a deal with Damon could happen, and believe it might even be close."  Similarly, Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times writes today that "the White Sox front office is feeling like they may have 'significantly' closed the gap between themselves and Detroit for the free agent's services."  However, Cowley has one source that still considers the Tigers the frontrunner.  Also, Scot Gregor of The Daily Herald believes the Braves are still in the mix.

8:50am: Yesterday we heard from Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that free agent Johnny Damon played golf Monday with White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski and broadcaster Hawk Harrelson.  The Sox remain firm on their initial offer, one that could be slightly above $4MM according to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago TribuneSI's Jon Heyman tweeted this morning that White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf recently got involved in the Damon talks.  Gonzales notes that the White Sox-Scott Boras relationship appears to be thawing, given the Damon talks, the Andruw Jones signing, and the Sox drafting a Boras client in the 16th round of last year's draft.

Meanwhile, Lynn Henning of the Detroit News says the Tigers and Damon "appear to be moving, at less than full speed, toward a deal."  It seems that one of these two clubs will sign Damon, but it's difficult to peg a frontrunner.

Johnny Damon Rumors: Friday

5:35pm: While the activity on Damon has heated up in the past week, it doesn't appear as though he will sign with a team until next week, writes Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com.

2:12pm: Jon Heyman of SI.com says via Twitter that it looks like the Damon sweepstakes will come down to the White Sox and Tigers. He says the Braves don't appear to have the money to bid.

2:00pm: Don't hold your breath for a Damon signing. Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports tweets that nothing is imminent with the Tigers.

9:44am: The White Sox "threw [a] bone" at Johnny Damon, but weren't seriously involved, a source tells Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter link). That matches up with yesterday's reports from Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times and MLB.com's Scott Merkin.

Rosenthal and others reported yesterday that the Tigers are prepared to offer Damon $14MM over two years. That makes them the favorite to acquire the outfielder, though we haven't completely ruled out the Braves.

Heyman On Damon, Braves, Wang, Dye

Jon Heyman of SI.com explains that expectations for Johnny Damon were unrealistically high at the beginning of the offseason. Here's Heyman's latest on Damon and others:

  • Tigers manager Jim Leyland is said to want Damon badly.
  • Heyman hears that the Braves might have $6MM to spend. 
  • Chien-Ming Wang's agent says his client is still a week or so away from deciding where he'll sign. Competitors still expect the righty to sign an incentive-laden deal with the Nationals. 
  • We've heard that the Indians are considering Jermaine Dye; Heyman says he could play some first base in Cleveland. 
Show all