Cafardo's Latest: Drew, Pettitte, Lincecum
The Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo works his way through all the teams in anticipation of Monday's GM meetings. Here are some of the rumors we haven't seen much before.
- The Rays want a defensive-minded shortstop and veteran starter. Maybe they'll make a play for Cesar Izturis or Omar Vizquel. A rehab guy like Freddy Garcia or Randy Wolf could be interesting.
- The Indians are looking for a power bat for left field. Haven't seen them mentioned with Barry Bonds at all, could that work?
- Cafardo proposes the idea of the Cubs acquiring J.D. Drew as their OBP-minded right field acquisition. Drew has a limited no-trade clause allowing him to block two unknown teams. I imagine the Red Sox would have to eat some salary.
- Cafardo also speculates that Andy Pettitte could follow Joe Torre to L.A. Pettitte has previously talked about a Yankees or retirement stance.
- The idea of the Giants trading Tim Lincecum seemed crazy at first, right? Cafardo says they may be willing to do so for a "stud outfielder." How about Delmon Young?
- Scott Boras is already busting out mystery teams with A-Rod, who apparently would love to play for the Red Sox.