Your daily collection of random rumors and links...
- MLB.com's Free Agent Frenzy has begun. You can win Opening Day tickets by closely predicting where 15 free agents will land. A good strategic move would be to wait until deadline day, November 15th, before submitting. That way you'll have more info (keep your browser right here for all the latest free agent info). By the way, my Top 50 Free Agents list should be ready around Monday.
- Fielding Bible has their 2007 awards (click the Winners tab). So much for those who say Andruw is slipping!
- Miguel Cabrera is available, according to Peter Gammons. Gammons thinks any package would have to begin with a top pitching prospect such as Phil Hughes, Clay Buchholz, or Clayton Kershaw.
- Sounds like the Rockies want to keep the 2007 club mostly intact by bringing back free agents (Kaz Matsui, Yorvit Torrealba, Matt Herges, LaTroy Hawkins). However Josh Fogg and Jeremy Affeldt may be allowed to leave.
- Though they're on his list, it doesn't sound like the D'Backs can afford Curt Schilling.
- The A's are talking about re-signing Shannon Stewart, but I don't see it. That would have to cost at least $3-4MM. Meanwhile, Mike Piazza might retire. Susan Slusser talks about how the A's would receive compensation for Stewart and Piazza, both Type B free agents. But that's only if they offer them arbitration, which is questionable.
- Comeback time! Matt Mantei is all surgically repaired and wants to get back into action. He feels great! He'd take a minor league contract and/or play for the minimum. Can't wait til spring, when we can hear about all the guys who are in the best shape of their careers. The Tigers might need him with Joel Zumaya's new, odd injury.
- A couple of 40+ southpaws will pitch in '08 - Tom Glavine and David Wells.
- The O's will pass on Kris Benson at $7.5MM next year, no surprise. He had rotator cuff surgery last March.
- U.S.S. Mariner's "reasonable" offseason plan.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Odds and Ends: Cabrera, Schilling, Stewart: