According to Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News, the Mariners sent consultant to the GM Duane Schafer to Shea Stadium this weekend to watch Ken Griffey Jr. Junior finds himself with a .254/.333/.384 line in 156 plate appearances. He's three homers shy of 600.
There are plenty of complications with the Griffey-to-Seattle scenario:
- The Mariners are eight games back, seven out in the Wild Card, and in last place with a .385 winning percentage. The Reds are doing about the same, making it tough to say the Ms will offer a better chance at a ring.
- Raul Ibanez would probably have to move to DH to open up an outfield spot for Griffey.
- Griffey needs a big May to prove he can actually help a team's offense.
- Griffey would be moving farther away from home to play for the Mariners.
- It's not known whether Griffey would ask that his $16.5MM option for '09 be exercised upon a trade. Even with the hefty $4MM buyout and salary deferral, the option would be hard for any team to stomach.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Mariners Send Exec To Scout Griffey: