Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports has a new column up.
- Rosenthal fills us in on Jim Hendry's contract status: Hendry controls his own fate with an option for '09. If the new Cubs ownership doesn't want to extend him beyond that, he could elect free agency this winter. Click here to download a spreadsheet of Hendry's trade history.
- Teams with third basemen to trade this winter are at an advantage due to the weak free agent market. Names like Garrett Atkins, Melvin Mora, and Hank Blalock could generate interest. Blalock is a huge question mark though, and the Rangers still have to decide on his $6.2MM option. Jorge Cantu, Adrian Beltre, and Kevin Kouzmanoff are other names to watch in my opinion.
- Rosenthal talked to a rival executive who sees the Red Sox making a "major push" for A.J. Burnett if he opts out. He can hindle the rigors of pitching in the AL East, and will also draw interest from the Yankees.
- The Rangers may shop Gerald Laird this winter. Laird, 29 in November, is under team control through 2010. The Reds could be a nice match.
- Marlins infielder Chris Coghlan can play second or third base, giving the Fish flexibility on whether they want to trade Cantu, Mike Jacobs, or Dan Uggla this winter.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Rosenthal's Latest: Hendry, Burnett, Laird: