Jon Heyman of SI.com hears from people around the league who guess that Stephen Strasburg is in line for a bonus worth $12-30MM – if he signs, that is. Here are the rest of Heyman's Strasburg-related rumors:
- Agent Scott Boras says teams dictate a slow negotiating pace and he and his clients merely follow along.
- Boras doesn't see why Strasburg should get less than Daisuke Matsuzaka, who signed for $52MM.
- Boras says the draft currently penalizes Americans, who, unlike international players, are limited to the team that drafts them.
- The Nationals visited Southern California to make a presentation to Strasburg, but there's no evidence they made him an impressive offer. Ben Goessling of the Washington Times also reports that the Nats paid Strasburg a visit last week.
- Strasburg doesn't seem likely to play in Japan if he doesn't sign.
- Boras says Strasburg will ultimately decide whether to accept the Nats' offer.
- Some people around the Nationals believe that acting GM Mike Rizzo will get the permanent GM job. He's got a busy few days coming up.