We're about two weeks from the playoffs; funny how even a 162 game season can fly by. Let's take a look back at the last seven days:
- Just like last week, we start off with a September blockbuster: The Nationals acquired Jamie Burke for cash. The Nats will be Burke's fifth franchise.
- Did they or didn't they? Earlier in the week we heard a report that the Jays rejected an offer of Clay Buchholz, Justin Masterson, Daniel Bard, Nick Hagadone, Michael Bowden, and Felix Doubrount for ace Roy Halladay. Later, it was reported that the offer was actually Buchholz, Masterson, Hagadone, Bowden, and Josh Reddick. Could J.P. Ricciardi have passed up on that haul? I find it hard to believe, personally, but what do I know? That's a lot of talent to turn away, if it's true.
- Speaking of aces, could the Diamondbacks really reject Brandon Webb's $8.5MM option for 2010 and buy him out for $2MM? The current word is that they'll "take their time" on the decision. Webb missed nearly all of 2009, so he's no sure thing, but when the decision is over $6.5MM, it seems like a pretty logical risk, wouldn't you think? It's not like we're talking about Magglio Ordonez's $18MM option for 2010, which vested this week, by the way.
- It's been a rough year for Chipper Jones offensively (by his standards), and he's apparently not pleased with himself. Chipper says that if his 2010 production looks like this season's, he may hang it up before his current contract is up. When an .823 OPS is a down year that has you considering retirement, I think that's a sign you've had a pretty great career.
- Have the Cubs had enough with Carlos Zambrano? Reports this week stated that they'd look to shop Zambrano in the offseason if they could find a taker. Finding someone to pay Zambrano $18MM per season and put up with his attitude will be a pretty difficult task though. For now, Zambrano is stating that he won't waive his no-trade clause anyway, so it may be a moot point.
- Anyone in need of an injury prone former Cy Young winner? Bartolo Colon was released by the White Sox this week. He'll be available on a minor league deal next season most likely.
- Tanner Scheppers and Aaron Crow have a lot in common. Both pitchers failed to sign after being drafted in 2008, and both signed this week. Ok, maybe that's not that much. At any rate, Scheppers signed with the Rangers for $1.25MM, and Crow signed with the Royals for $3MM. Remember, neither was held to the signing deadline because they were both drafted from an independent league team.
- Curious to see who's on the free agent market this winter? Tim's got the scoop on the market for center fielders, left fielders, and third basemen this week.
- Updates in the Offseason Outlook series include the Indians and Mets.
Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs To Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL East Notes: Orioles, Red Sox, Ellsbury Antonetti on Bourn, Bauer, Pitching Draft Notes: Astros, Appel, Gray, Cubs, Harvey Minor Moves: Dustin Martin, Josh Horton West Links: Dodgers, Ethier, Norberto, Mariners Derek Lowe Clears Waivers NL Central Links: Garcia, Carpenter, Garza Red Sox, Jacoby Ellsbury Haven't Talked Extension Yankees Notes: Kuroda, Bullpen, Adams Poll: The Next 2012 First-Rounder To Be Called Up Orioles To Promote Kevin Gausman Quick Hits: White Sox, Reds, Red Sox, Phillies NL East Notes: Phillies, Lee, Nationals, Mets Commenting Policy AL East Notes: Yankees, Red Sox, Ellsbury
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors