Royals GM Dayton Moore tells Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star that he plans on improving his team's defense this offseason. Moore expects to have about $70MM to work with this winter, but, as Mellinger points out, that doesn't leave the Royals with much flexibility. Here are the details:
- The Royals figure to look for an everyday outfielder, a catcher and relief help.
- They will probably have to non-tender some players to stay within their budget.
- Mellinger assumes the Royals will buy Coco Crisp out for $500k, rather than pick up his $8MM option.
- Mike Jacobs is a prime non-tender candidate. He has a .692 OPS, but he's making $3.275MM this year and would be in line for at least $2.6MM if the Royals offer him arbitration.
- Miguel Olivo is likely to pursue free agency. The Royals may need another catcher if they decide that the $3MM or so John Buck would earn through arbitration is too much.
- Club officials say there's "no chance" they non-tender Mark Teahen.