Free agent left-hander Aroldis Chapman is quickly racking up face time with MLB clubs, meeting with several different teams in the past few days and drumming up interest all over the league. On Friday, he chatted with Orioles international scouting director John Stockstill in New York about the possibility of beginning his professional career in Baltimore.
Are the Orioles to be taken seriously as possible suitors for Chapman? It depends on who you ask. Stockstill said Friday, after his meeting in NYC with the highly touted 21-year-old, that there is some mutual interest. "He's willing and interested to come and visit Baltimore," Stockstill said, while also telling MASN's Roch Kubatko, "I think we have an offer in mind."
Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean the club is truly prepared to buck up, especially if the price is in the $40-$60MM range. As Peter Schmuck of the Baltimore Sun points out, the O's passed on Dominican shortstop Miguel Angel Sano earlier this month, and he signed with the Twins for only $3.15MM. "If they would balk at Sano at that price," Schmuck writes, "what makes anybody think they'll be a real player at $40 million for Chapman?"
"I'm sure a lot of people would like to see the Orioles boldly go where they haven't gone before and pony up the big money it will take to sign Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman," Schmuck continues, "but I wouldn't hold your breath."