We've covered the free agent market by position, but that only tells part of the story. With the GM Meetings just 11 days away, it's time to analyze the trade market. We'll start with catchers.
- Kelly Shoppach, Indians. Lou Marson, acquired in the Cliff Lee trade with the Phillies, could be handed the Indians' starting job in 2010. Shoppach is a non-tender candidate after hitting .214/.335/.399 in 327 plate appearances this year. The Indians may prefer not to pay him $2MM+ next year, so they could shop him around. Shoppach, 30 in April, slugged .517 in 2008.
- John Buck, Royals. Buck, 30, is another non-tender candidate. He hit .247/.299/.484 for the Royals in 202 plate appearances, and is due a raise on his $2.9MM salary through arbitration.
- Brayan Pena, Royals. The Royals have never seemed all that enamored of Pena, who turns 28 in January. He hit .273/.318/.442 in 183 plate appearances and is not yet eligible for arbitration.
- Ryan Doumit, Pirates. Doumit, 29 in April, slipped to .250/.299/.414 this year in 304 plate appearances. A broken bone in his wrist was a big factor. Doumit is guaranteed $9.15MM over the next two seasons on an extension signed in December of '08. He was benched at one point in August over a helmet-throwing incident.
- Chris Snyder, Diamondbacks. Like Doumit, Snyder was signed to an extension after an impressive '08. This year he was plagued with a back injury that culminated in September surgery. Snyder lost the starting job to Miguel Montero and has $11.25MM remaining on his contract for the next two seasons.
- J.R. Towles, Astros. Towles began the 2008 season as the Astros starting catcher; he was 24 at the time and was coming off a fine stint in Double A. Several injuries and 224 big league plate appearances later, Towles has lost the team's "catcher of the future" title to Jason Castro.
- Click here for our look at the free agent market for catchers.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Teams Wield Advance Consent Hammer Hanrahan Talking With Multiple Clubs Following Showcase Minor Moves: Rafael Perez, Adam Loewen, Matt Neil Jeremy Jeffress Elects Free Agency White Sox Designate Donnie Veal For Assignment California Notes: Ramirez, Billingsley, Puig, Athletics AL Notes: Nunez, Vizquel, Cousins, A's AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors