Before we dive headfirst into Wednesday's winter meetings action, let's take a minute to recap the top news and rumors from Tuesday....
- We saw our first blockbuster trade of the winter, as the Tigers, Diamondbacks, and Yankees agreed on a three-way swap. The deal sends Curtis Granderson to New York, Edwin Jackson and Ian Kennedy to Arizona, and four players, including Max Scherzer, to the Tigers. Reactions? Most writers agreed that the Tigers and Yankees made out well, but didn't like the deal for the D'Backs. I'm inclined to agree. Granderson should rake in Yankee Stadium and the Tigers were able to add some promising talent while cutting payroll, but it's unclear what Arizona's endgame is here.
- The White Sox signed Mark Teahen to a three-year deal worth $14MM. The price isn't bad for Chicago, though it might lock them into mediocre third base production for a few years. If Teahen could match his 2006 numbers (.290/.357/.517), he'd be a bargain, but his career line is just .269/.331/.408.
- Milton Bradley trade talks swirled all day, with one report calling a deal with a surprise AL team "three-quarters done." With the Rays and Rangers apparently not involved, it's anybody's guess who the mystery club could be. There doesn't seem to be any one team that stands out as being a fit for Bradley and the Cubs.
- Bobby Crosby is on the verge of signing with the Pirates, and it looks like he'll get his chance to compete for an everyday job. I don't think Crosby is a major-league starter at this point, but the risk is fairly low for the Pirates at just $1.5MM over a single year.
- The Phillies bolstered their bench by agreeing to sign Ross Gload to a two-year deal. We haven't seen a price attached to this one yet, but assuming it's affordable, I like the move for the Phillies. Gload has proven throughout his career to be a solid pinch-hitter and part-time player.
- To make room for players that accepted arbitration, the Twins designated Boof Bonser for assignment and the Braves DFA'd Ryan Church. The Church move is a bit of a surprise, and one that came as a result of another surprise: Rafael Soriano accepting arbitration.
- The Rockies offered Yorvit Torrealba a two-year contract, but the backstop has received attention from a host of other clubs as well.
- Kevin Kouzmanoff was another hot commodity Tuesday, as multiple teams contacted the Padres about acquiring the third baseman. With Chone Figgins and Placido Polanco already off the market, it looks like teams are getting more creative when it comes to targeting infielders.
- We heard plenty more talk about Roy Halladay, Jason Bay, Randy Wolf and Kevin Millwood with nothing concrete happening yet.
- In news not directly hot-stove related, Peter Gammons will be leaving ESPN.com to join MLB.com, the MLB Network and NESN.com. Having grown up on Gammons' columns, I look forward to following his work for his new employers.
If you missed it, check out MLBTR's Day 1 review here.
Nationals Designate Yunesky Maya For AssignmentMariners Designate Robert Andino For Assignment Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Marlins Release Jon Rauch Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Red Sox Notes: Lackey, Henry, Draft Quick Hits: Yankees, Dodgers NL Notes: Amarista, Nationals, Morse, Krol Nationals Designate Yunesky Maya For Assignment Mariners Designate Robert Andino For Assignment Central Notes: Reds, Cubs, Morneau Minor Moves: Dan Klein, Zach Braddock, Royce Ring Draft Links: Manaea, McGuire, Prep Catchers East Links: Braves, Nolin, Wheeler, Wada Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Walker, Hughes, Vogelsong The Best Spring Training Additions Of 2013 Quick Hits: Beltran, D'Backs, Montero, Draft, Cashner AL Central Links: Indians, Moore, Schneider NL East Notes: Utley, Amaro, Rizzo, Braves Managerial Notes: Mattingly, Nationals, Roenicke
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors