A look back at the notable moves from March of 2009 gives us an idea of what we can expect here in 2010.
- March 4th: Dodgers re-signed Manny Ramirez to a two-year, $45MM deal. Manny was the last big name to sign in '09. This year we don't have anyone comparable, with Jermaine Dye, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz, Jarrod Washburn, and Braden Looper available.
- March 5th: Cardinals signed Dennys Reyes to a two-year, $3MM deal. Last year certain lefty relievers signed late despite coming off strong seasons. This year, a few useful right-handed relievers are floating around.
- March 5th: Giants released Dave Roberts. The Giants ate $6.5MM when they released Roberts. Which well-paid veterans might be released this spring?
- March 6th: A's signed Orlando Cabrera to a one-year, $4MM deal. Hindered by the draft pick cost last winter, O-Cab signed a contract with Oakland that ensured he would not be offered arbitration after the season. While he was a Type A again this winter, the Twins probably wouldn't have offered arbitration anyway.
- March 8th: Brewers released Eric Gagne.
- March 14th: Mets claimed Fernando Nieve off waivers from Astros. Nieve was out of options, so the Mets snagged him. Check out MLBTR's list of out of options players here.
- March 18th: Nationals signed Joe Beimel to a one-year, $2MM deal. Once again, Beimel is "waiting for the right deal" in March.
- March 20th: Astros signed Ivan Rodriguez to a one-year, $1.5MM deal. It was unexpected when the Astros reached an agreement with Boras client Pudge, but not as surprising as the two-year, $6MM deal the catcher snagged with the Nationals this time around.
- March 26th: Rangers released Brendan Donnelly. Donnelly went on to have a pretty good year in the minors and in 25 innings for the Marlins, and he parlayed that into $1.35MM guaranteed from the Pirates.
- March 27th: Giants acquired Ronny Paulino from Phillies; sent him to Marlins. Paulino looks like a respectable backup in Florida. Had the Giants retained him a year ago, would they have re-signed Bengie Molina for $4.5MM this winter? Likewise, could the Phillies have kept Paulino and saved the $2.75MM later committed to Brian Schneider?
- March 30th: Dodgers signed Will Ohman to a one-year, $1.55MM minor league deal. The completion of the Ohman saga marked the end of the offseason, but he was a non-factor in 2009 and inked a minor league deal with Baltimore this winter.
- March 31st: Astros acquired Jeff Keppinger from Reds. It was a minor spring move at the time, but the Astros are happy to have Keppinger.
- One thing you can always expect in March is the return of many Rule 5 picks to their former teams. Click here for a reminder on the 17 players taken this offseason.
Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
MLBTR Originals Quick Hits: Hardy, Gonzalez, Hanrahan, Davis, Harang Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Fasano, Matsui, Orioles Twins Claim Sam Fuld, Designate Darin Mastroianni Yankees Designate Matt Daley For Assignment Tigers Release Alex Gonzalez Quick Hits: Prospects, Pirates, Brewers NL East Notes: Mets, Braves West Notes: Padres, A's, Angels Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment NL Notes: Braves, Mets, Cubs, Willis White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Rosenthal On Diamondbacks, Braves, Drew Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors