A look back at the notable moves from March of 2009 gives us an idea of what we can expect here in 2010.
- March 4th: Dodgers re-signed Manny Ramirez to a two-year, $45MM deal. Manny was the last big name to sign in '09. This year we don't have anyone comparable, with Jermaine Dye, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz, Jarrod Washburn, and Braden Looper available.
- March 5th: Cardinals signed Dennys Reyes to a two-year, $3MM deal. Last year certain lefty relievers signed late despite coming off strong seasons. This year, a few useful right-handed relievers are floating around.
- March 5th: Giants released Dave Roberts. The Giants ate $6.5MM when they released Roberts. Which well-paid veterans might be released this spring?
- March 6th: A's signed Orlando Cabrera to a one-year, $4MM deal. Hindered by the draft pick cost last winter, O-Cab signed a contract with Oakland that ensured he would not be offered arbitration after the season. While he was a Type A again this winter, the Twins probably wouldn't have offered arbitration anyway.
- March 8th: Brewers released Eric Gagne.
- March 14th: Mets claimed Fernando Nieve off waivers from Astros. Nieve was out of options, so the Mets snagged him. Check out MLBTR's list of out of options players here.
- March 18th: Nationals signed Joe Beimel to a one-year, $2MM deal. Once again, Beimel is "waiting for the right deal" in March.
- March 20th: Astros signed Ivan Rodriguez to a one-year, $1.5MM deal. It was unexpected when the Astros reached an agreement with Boras client Pudge, but not as surprising as the two-year, $6MM deal the catcher snagged with the Nationals this time around.
- March 26th: Rangers released Brendan Donnelly. Donnelly went on to have a pretty good year in the minors and in 25 innings for the Marlins, and he parlayed that into $1.35MM guaranteed from the Pirates.
- March 27th: Giants acquired Ronny Paulino from Phillies; sent him to Marlins. Paulino looks like a respectable backup in Florida. Had the Giants retained him a year ago, would they have re-signed Bengie Molina for $4.5MM this winter? Likewise, could the Phillies have kept Paulino and saved the $2.75MM later committed to Brian Schneider?
- March 30th: Dodgers signed Will Ohman to a one-year, $1.55MM minor league deal. The completion of the Ohman saga marked the end of the offseason, but he was a non-factor in 2009 and inked a minor league deal with Baltimore this winter.
- March 31st: Astros acquired Jeff Keppinger from Reds. It was a minor spring move at the time, but the Astros are happy to have Keppinger.
- One thing you can always expect in March is the return of many Rule 5 picks to their former teams. Click here for a reminder on the 17 players taken this offseason.
Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Perez, Pineda, Mariners, Ramirez, A's Minor Moves: Wil Ledezma Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Ervin Santana Seeks To Sign One-Year Deal Before Opening Day NL Central Notes: Carpenter, Neshek, Phillips, Cubs Diamondbacks, Oliver Perez Nearing Multi-Year Deal Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Padres Claim Alex Castellanos Luke Hochevar To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Royals Release Brad Penny Ervin Santana's Representation Currently Unsettled AL Central Notes: Masterson, De Aza, Santana, Tigers NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors