Roughly a half-dozen teams may be shopping credible starting pitching at this year's trade deadline. Let's play matchmaker and examine potential buyers.
- Nationals. As I wrote on May 6th, the Nationals should acquire starting pitching as soon as possible. Reinforcements are on the way, but with Scott Olsen hitting the DL there is too much uncertainty.
- Blue Jays. Jesse Litsch will be back in June, but one veteran addition would help.
- Tigers. Max Scherzer could be a shot in the arm if he straightens things out in Triple A. Otherwise, they have Rick Porcello, Jeremy Bonderman, Dontrelle Willis, and Armando Galarraga backing up Justin Verlander.
- Diamondbacks. Brandon Webb might be all this team needs, but he's working on a new arm slot as he rehabs from shoulder surgery. It may take another month.
- Red Sox. Josh Beckett is on the DL with a back strain, so Tim Wakefield stepped in. Boston's interest in starting pitching might be limited to the possibility of renting Cliff Lee.
- Reds. Homer Bailey's shoulder tightness is a concern, but the Reds' biggest gains will probably come from continued improvements by Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang.
- Angels. They've got their starting five, so they might just have to hope for better things from Joel Pineiro and Scott Kazmir.
- Dodgers. John Ely has been excellent and Vicente Padilla has been working his way back, so the Dodgers' interest in starting pitching might be limited to aces.
- Mets. Mike Pelfrey has emerged behind Johan Santana. Jon Niese has a spot when he returns from a hamstring strain and Hisanori Takahashi looked good against the Yankees. The Mets should still look to add at least one starter, but most people felt that way during the offseason.
Mets To Sign Bartolo Colon Mariners Acquire Logan Morrison Mariners To Sign Corey Hart Nationals Acquire Jerry Blevins Pirates Extend Charlie Morton Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Dodgers Acquire Seth Rosin Giants To Sign Mike Morse Phillies To Sign Roberto Hernandez Padres Acquire Patrick Schuster To Complete Anthony Bass Trade Marlins, Cubs Swap Ruggiano For Bogusevic 2013 Rule 5 Draft Results Marlins Nearing Justin Ruggiano Trade Angels Acquire Brian Moran Diamondbacks, Angels Considered Favorites For Garza NL Central Links: Walker, Alvarez, Cards, Rule 5 Giants Still Looking To Add Right-Handed Outfielder AL Notes: Twins, Pelfrey, O's, Yankees, Royals Phillies Have Agreement With Unnamed Starter Joaquin Benoit Seeking $7-10MM Annually Winter Meetings Review: Day 3
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors