Sample size be damned, let's take a look at the players who are off to slow starts after being dealt in the offseason:
- Javier Vazquez: Vazquez has struggled mightily so far in his return to New York. In five starts, the 33-year-old has an ERA of 9.78 with 7.8 K/9 and a ghastly 5.9 BB/9. Something is definitely off with Vazquez, as the velocity on his fastball has dipped from 91.1 mph last season to 88.9 mph this year.
- Melky Cabrera: How about the Braves' end of the trade? The Melk Man is hitting .195/.287/.221 so far in 88 plate appearances. Cabrera has been a great value in years past, but at this rate he won't be worth his reasonable $2.6MM salary for 2010.
- Juan Pierre: It seemed as though the White Sox acquired Pierre from the Dodgers on the cheap this winter, both monetarily and talent-wise. Los Angeles is on the hook for $10.5MM of the $18MM owed to the speedy outfielder in the next two seasons. However, after having one of the best offensive seasons of his career in 2009, Pierre has an OPS of .447.
- Curtis Granderson: Somehow, the Yankees have the third highest winning percentage in the majors and two players on this list. Granderson has a slash line of .225/.311/.375 thus far and will look to boost those numbers when he returns from the DL. Meanwhile, Austin Jackson is doing quite well in Detroit.
- Julio Lugo: I told y'all we'd see Julio again. The right-handed batter is OPSing .274 for the O's this season. However, it should be noted that Lugo has made just 30 plate appearances thus far this season. That's a rather diminutive sample size, even for a month-old season.
- Kevin Kouzmanoff: The A's picked up Kouzmanoff in a deal with the Padres in January. The third baseman has started in 24 of Oakland's 26 games this season and is hitting .245/.284/.319.
What other traded players have struggled thus far in 2010?
Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Corey Hart Weighing Options Max Scherzer Unlikely To Be Extended Or Traded Sherman On Mets, D-Backs, Masterson, Rasmus Rays, Rangers, Indians Eyeing Jamey Carroll Rays Have Interest In Mark Reynolds Matt Kemp Rumors: Wednesday Winter Meetings Review: Day 2 Overnight Notes: Masterson, Twins, Rockies, Myers AL East Links: Choo, Drew, Lester, Yankees Astros Interested In Joba Chamberlain Phillies Notes: Brown, Papelbon, Lee, Hamels Trumbo Trade Allows Angels To Pursue Pitching Quick Hits: Cubs, Blue Jays, Butler, Cruz, Ackley Tigers Still Successfully Adapting Long After Peralta Suspension David Price Rumors: Tuesday
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors