On this date six years ago, a three-team trade that would have sent Randy Johnson and Kazuhisa Ishii to the Yankees, Shawn Green and Brad Penny to the Diamondbacks, and Javier Vazquez plus prospects to the Dodgers fell apart when Los Angeles backed out. The Big Unit ended up with the Yanks and Green with the D'Backs anyway, but Penny stayed with the Dodgers while Vazquez went to Arizona. Ishii ended up with the Mets in a separate deal.
There's no backing out of these links, here's the best from around the web…
- Long Drive tells us how the animosity towards Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. has changed in the last year.
- Purple Row explains what Troy Tulowitzki's contract extension tells us about Todd Helton's original mega-deal.
- Caught Looking wonders what would have happened if Cliff Lee had signed with the Pirates.
- Capitol Avenue Club looks at Dan Uggla and the aging process.
- True Blue L.A. says it's time for the Dodgers to sign Clayton Kershaw long-term.
- Wahoo Blues wonders where Fausto Carmona will be on Opening Day.
- U.S.S. Mariner examines Seattle's current 25-man roster.
- Rays Index looks at the Rays history of signing under-the-radar free agents.
- SPANdemonium attempts to figure out what it would take to sign Josh Willingham long-term.
- FanSpeak, meanwhile, doesn't like the Willingham deal for Washington.
- Blogging Mets tries to figure out which is the best expansion team in baseball history.
- The Sports Banter isn't a fan of the Pirates' Lyle Overbay signing.
- Bleacher GM takes a comprehensive look at the pitching market.
- Meanwhile, Blogging From The Bleachers evaluates the Mets' pitching options.
- Monkey With A Halo has some issues with the Angels and their recent moves.
- The Nats Blog looks at Matt Stairs by the numbers.
- The 5th Starter takes a brief look at the history of $100MM contracts.
- We Should Be GMs explains why Ryan Howard's contract extension is still undeserved.
- Phoul Ballz spoke to Phillies prospect Jarred Cosart about his preparation for the future.
- River Ave. Blues breaks down some risky pitchers the Yankees could gamble on.
- Beyond The Box Score built an interactive trade map.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here.