Happy Holidays to all of our readers! It's been slow the past couple of days, but there was plenty of action earlier in the week, so let's recap:
- The Marlins and Ricky Nolasco won't be parting ways any time soon. Nolasco signed a new three-year deal worth $26.5MM that buys out his last two arbitration years and his first year of free agency. That marks the second offseason in the row Florida has extended one of its young pitchers.
- A pair of NL teams signed second basemen this week: Bill Hall inked a one-year, $3.25MM deal with the Astros to man second base in Houston every day, while Orlando Hudson finally found a multiyear deal, signing with the Padres for two years and $11.5MM. Both have potential to be bargain signings.
- Those weren't the only moves for that pair of teams this week though, as Houston traded former closer Matt Lindstrom to the Rockies in exchange for a pair of minor league arms and signed Gustavo Chacin to a minor league deal, while San Diego acquired Rob Johnson from Seattle to back up Nick Hundley and reached an agreement with Brad Hawpe to play first base.
- The Rangers reached an agreement with Arthur Rhodes for one year with a vesting 2012 option. Rhodes will join Darren Oliver in forming a southpaw tandem that totals over 80 years of age.
- Cleveland signed a couple of low-cost outfielders, as they were reunited with Austin Kearns on a one-year, $1.3MM deal and signed former top prospect Travis Buck to a minor league deal.
- The Brewers made a similar pair of signings, bringing back Craig Counsell for one year and $1.4MM, while signing reliever Sean Green to a non-guaranteed $875K deal.
- The Nationals signed Sean Burnett to a two-year extension that will guarantee the lefty a total of $3.95MM and includes a mutual option for 2013. Additionally, the Nats agreed to sign Rick Ankiel to a one-year contract worth $1.5MM guaranteed and are still in the mix for Carl Pavano.
- It's been a steep decline for Garrett Atkins, who signed a minor league deal with the Pirates this week. Pittsburgh also made a minor league swap with the A's, trading right-hander Ryan Kelly for speedy utilityman Corey Wimberly.
- There were over a dozen more minor transactions that took place this week, so be sure to check out our Transactions section for all of the minor moves that took place this week!
- And now a quick look at what the future might hold: The Yankees are interested in a reunion with Johnny Damon, the Reds are interested in Scott Podsednik, the Orioles renewed contract discussions with Derrek Lee, three teams are interested in Octavio Dotel, and the Mariners want an impact bat in return for closer David Aardsma.
- Last but not least, it's worth noting that Jamie Moyer underwent successful Tommy John surgery this week and is still aiming for a return to the Majors at age 49 when he's healed. It's implausible, but it'd make for a great story. Best of luck to you, Jamie.
Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez For Assignment Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Padres Designate Thad Weber For Assignment Athletics Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Rockies Designate Reid Brignac For Assignment Angels Designate Barry Enright For Assignment Yankees Designate Chris Nelson For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Marlins Release David Aardsma Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel Cubs Extend Anthony Rizzo
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Draft Notes: Astros, Renfroe, Appel Central Notes: Twins, Reynolds, Gomes, Choo Minor Moves: Wilson, Beimel, Parraz, Velazquez, Bell East Notes: Braves, Mets, Ellsbury, Yankees West Notes: Chavez, Astros, Angels, Mattingly Rosenthal On Cubs, Brewers, Marlins Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins NL Notes: Stauffer, Phillies, Cubs, Hairston Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Quick Hits: Brignac, Mariners, Odorizzi Contract Extensions Changing The Free Agent Market Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment AL East Notes: Yankees, Orioles, Ishikawa
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors