The Rays are officially introducing Johnny Damon and Manny Ramirez today and the former Red Sox have lots of good things to say about their new team. Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times has the details (all links go to Twitter):
- The Rays could also add a veteran middle infielder on a minor league deal. Topkin wonders if Felipe Lopez could be a fit.
- Agent Scott Boras says talks started with Damon, then expanded to include another one of his clients: Ramirez.
- Ramirez, who signed for $2MM, says other teams offered more lucrative deals. He chose to play in Tampa since he's "already made [his] money."
- Manager Joe Maddon says he's confident that Ramirez is motivated to help the Rays repeat as AL East champions.
- Damon also thinks the Rays can win the AL East. Disagree? Cast your vote here.
- Damon says he isn't writing the "final chapter" of his career and Ramirez says he can play five more seasons.