On this date in 1976, San Francisco mayor George Moscone intervened in the sale of the Giants to Labatt Brewery, which would have moved the team to Canada. Moscone helped arrange a last-minute sale to Bob Lurie and Bud Herseth for $8MM, keeping the team by the bay.
These links aren't in danger of relocating; here's the best the blogosphere had to offer over the last week...
- MLB Depth Charts is giving away a $100 Amazon.com gift card as part of its "Pick the Long Shots" contest.
- Stephen Goff at Examiner spoke to Chuck Knoblauch about his nephew Trace, who plays college ball for Indiana.
- Harness The Halo says goodbye to Garret Anderson.
- Crashburn Alley explains why Albert Pujols would not be a fit for the Phillies.
- Pine Tar And Pocket Protectors believes trading Chris Carpenter is the best way for the Cardinals to go.
- The Platoon Advantage tackles the Francisco Liriano trade rumors, noting that the Twins are an organization "driven by emotion."
- The Bottom Line tries to figure out who should hit cleanup for the Red Sox.
- Rooftop View is bullish on the Cubs bullpen.
- Ivy Report wonders if the Cubs should be interested in Barry Zito.
- Lookout Landing posted a short but not necessarily sweet Aaron Laffey comparison.
- Through The Fence Baseball breaks down some players at a career crossroads.
- Pirates Prospects takes a shot at fixing the free agent compensation system.
- More Hardball looks at some players that have been forced out of the game.
- DesigNate Robertson provides a way too early AL Central preview.
- The Mennella Line looks at Bobby Valentine's interest in buying a piece of the Mets.
- The composite, meanwhile, says the Mets should be contracted.
- The Shea Faithful thinks Rule 5 Draft pick Pedro Beato may have been born to be a Met.
- SB Nation explores the extreme side of baseball's superstitions, namely human mascots.
- 85% Sports lists their top five exhibits at the Baseball Hall of Fame.
- Fantasy Rundown compiles all of the prospect lists out there in one place, which Cubs Billy Goat Blog used to create a composite top 100 prospects list.
- Interpretation By Design put together a handy flowchart to help you pick a team to root for if you're undecided.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. Only one email per week, please.