March trading typically involves out of options players, former top prospects, and spare parts, but these players can have a major impact. Here's a look at the players acquired via trade during this month over the last few years, with the help of MLBTR's Transaction Tracker.
- Edwar Ramirez (Rangers and Athletics), Omar Aguilar (Indians), Ray Olmedo (Brewers), Matt Treanor (Rangers), Kevin Frandsen (Red Sox), Steve Lerud (Orioles), Andres Blanco (Rangers), Nate Robertson (Marlins)
- Treanor, Blanco, and Robertson spent significant time in the Majors last year for the acquiring team.
- Sergio Santos (Giants), Chris Stewart (Yankees), Luke Gregerson (Padres), Eulogio de la Cruz (Padres), Curtis Thigpen (Athletics), Ronny Paulino (Giants and Marlins), Hector Correa (Giants), Jack Taschner (Phillies), Chris Burke (Mariners), Rudy Darrow (Braves), Josh Anderson (Tigers), Jeff Keppinger (Astros)
- The Giants' 2009 acquisition of Santos is an interesting story. According to Yahoo's Jeff Passan, he was dealt to San Francisco with the caveat that if the Giants couldn't play Santos every day as a shortstop, they'd send him back to Chicago to start a conversion to pitching. He was indeed traded back to the Sox on April 1st and made the team out of Spring Training the following year, tossing 51 2/3 innings of 2.96 ball with 56 strikeouts in 2010.
- Gregerson was sent to the Padres to complete the December '08 Khalil Greene deal with the Cardinals. Clearly that pickup was a big win for Kevin Towers. Paulino, Taschner, Anderson, and Keppinger also spent significant time in the bigs in '09.
- Henry Arias (Reds), Brad Salmon (Royals), Mike McCoy (Orioles), Justin Huber (Padres), Todd Redmond (Braves), Tyler Yates (Pirates), Ramon Ramirez (Royals), Jose Marte (Diamondbacks), Dustin Nippert (Rangers), Jair Fernandez (Twins), R.A. Dickey (Mariners), Matt Kata (Pirates)
- Yates, Nippert, and Dickey spent significant time in the Majors in '08. Dickey landed with the Mets as a free agent in December of '09 after a stint with the Twins, and took off with a 2.84 ERA in 174 1/3 innings.
- The Royals acquired Ramirez from the Rockies in March of '08, sending Jorge de la Rosa to the Rockies a month later to complete the deal. De La Rosa's career took off with the Rockies, culminating in a $32.5MM deal in November of last year. The Royals sent Ramirez to the Red Sox in November of '08 for Coco Crisp. Crisp might have been a solid acquisition for Kansas City, but shoulder surgery interrupted his season.